Suspension - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Suspension

I can save big $$ by brining just my shocks into the dealer to be recharged (Fox Shocks). My sled is a '96 Polaris XLT Special (xtra 12 suspension). The money I save could be put towards more snowmobile accessories! Problem is, I don't know what challenges I might encounter nor where to start in the removal and of course, reinstallation of these shocks. Any advice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 01:56 PM
Matt M38A1

Re: Suspension

I sent nine to the following:
http://www.deycore.com/

$25 bucks a peice, with free seals. He's not doing the free seals thing anymore, and I think he's probably balls to the wall now. You just have to get them out of the machine. If you're not mechanically inclined, I would suggest you find someone who is to assist you.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2000, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I use Steve at Deycore to supply all my Fox shocks parts for my rebuild business. He's a top notch guy with a ton of knowledge.

If you are going to be a serious sledder it is time to learn how to get your suspension out and do some of your own maintenence. I prefer to remove the rear skid frame by hanging the rear of the sled from a come-a-long from the ceiling of the garage. Loosen your rear adjustment bolts as far as they will go. Lift the sled by the afore mentioned method until all the track is off the ground. Remove the rear mounting bolts on the suspension and allow the suspension to swing down. Then remove the front mounting bolts and allow the suspension to drop down. Now comes the fun part. Wiggle, jiggle and cuss and sweat until you can untangle the suspension from the track. It usually is easiest to push it forward and remove the rear first. Now take the suspension and put it on your bench, or the floor and remove the shocks. They will be under some tension, but if you have any mechanical inclination you will figure out. While you are there find all the grease zirks and grease that thing up. Check for bad spinning bogie wheels and replace the bearings if necessary. You can grease the bogie bearings by removing the rubber seals with a sharp pick and filling them full of grease with your finger.

Reinstall with lots of adult language, your wifes or a buddies help, and remember, it'll get easier the more times you do it.

http://www.mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moore...owmobile1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 04:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i got to admit the most fun part is installing the suspesion,the amount if abnormal language that spews from you mouth will suprise you,WARNING kids should not be around you while doing this,you are rated R for adult language!
he's right though it does get easier every time you do it!so what are you waiting for jump in and have some fun!

motor head
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 07:30 AM
Matt M38A1

Frank- It's funny you say that! I remember putting the cage back in my Indy 650 2 yrs ago. It took me and my buddy about 45 minutes to finnaly figure it out and get it in. Last year we changed a shock in his RXL, it took us an hour and a half. Apparently we had forgotten the previous years fun!!! This year I rebuilt my Ultra suspension and My dad's XLT suspension, and we put an Xtra-10 in that 92 RXL. We can put those suckers in, in less than 5 minutes now! It's all in how you tilt the front mount past the radiators! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 02:03 PM

The best and easiest way I have found to remove the suspension is that once the front and back bolts are out put the sled on the floor and tip it over on its side. That way you can just pick the suspension straight up out of the track because the track stays where you put it and doesn't keep falling back in the way. Same thing when you are putting it back in. Just tip it on its side and drop it straight back in. I used to sweat and do all the other stuff you mentioned till I tried this method and now it's a piece of cake.

"Sled till you're dead"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2000, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the information - I'll certainly be taking you advice and giving this a try. I don't have the most aptitude, but I have the required R language covered!

Thanks again!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Retired Pop. That only works if you don't have Polaris's marvel of engineering, the running board cooler. Every XLT I have worked on has coolers that require you to roll the suspension on it's side a little to clear the coolers. I cured that by getting rid of mine on my new tunnel. Man what a difference. The suspension just goes right in now.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2000, 10:28 AM

Frankenstein XLT I hear what you're saying and I'm not picking a fight but it still makes it easier cause you're not fighting gravity at the same time as fighting the coolers too. What kind of tunnel and coolers did you put on your XLT. We still have an XLT in our family and who knows when it may get some upgrades.

"Sled till you're dead"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2000, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was trying to be funny :-) But I am an argumentative cuss!! I used a tunnel from Bentwrench Performance in Washington, rolled the chaincase and am planning to use XC700 coolers. The XC coolers don't work on the XC with paddle tracks, but with my roll and mounting my suspension down and back they should clear. I only paid $60 for the pair, so I hope they work. Otherwise I'm going to drop the serious change for the U cooler from Holz.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode