reward if you can help my polaris problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 07:19 PM
stevephillipsjr

reward if you can help my polaris problem

I have a 2003 polaris rmk 800 156" track with a problem.
1) it heats up when driven slow for more than a 4 miles
Runs fine at idle and fine throughout power band when not hot.
2) It heats up when running at constant speed 40-45 going up hill.
3) bogs when cruising at 40-50 mid range, must ratchet throttle to keep running. (altitude around 3000' and 30 deg.
4) changed needle to be one knotch above the middle position. runs without bog but overheat light comes on under full throttle now.
i cannot run this rig following the kids or puttin' around. Have ice scraper and this helps but not much.

I have two machines that match and they both do the same thing... have 3 friend with 2002 144" 800 rks and they have no problems under same conditions...... [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Reward if you have a solution!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2004, 09:22 PM
jsmith6752

Re: reward if you can help my polaris problem

I would first talk to your dealer. They often see a pattern of problems with certain sleds. The other possibility may be the thermostate. Another though is it is running very lean causing it to over heat. You may have to drop the clip on the needle valve a notch or two ( causes the needle valve to sit higher allowing more fuel...good luck...Jim
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 08:55 PM
Warrior00

are you sure its overheating? or does the light just come on.. are any of your coolant lines clogged? or sumting
is there coolant in it? not a whole in the heat exhanger from stud damage.. had that happen to me..but i caought it b4 it was a major problem and over heated. it.. next are you riding in enough snow to get on the exhangers?

your bogging problem.. means i didnt click on your post.. cnat see wat u wrote.. but check the plugs on the bottom of the carbs to make sure they are not leakin.. mine did the same thing when i bought it this year.. and just had to put new plugs on the bottom and it ran like a top.. another thing.. spray a lil WD-40 on your clutch spring.. and oil your jackshaft..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-05-2004, 11:37 PM
portgrinder

The RMK's don't have enough heat exchanger on em for any kind of trail riding. a place like specialtysleds.com sells the extra cooler that you need.

boging that is solved by wickig the throttle means you are too lean, period.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 06:58 PM

Solid advice portgrinder.
p.s. How bout not tellin' the boys at dirtbike that you saw me here, what with my sled post and all. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode