Good sleds in the 94'-96' range? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Jay_Roll

Good sleds in the 94\'-96\' range?

I'm buying my first newer sled sometime soon. Over the past few weeks I've learned several several things. I've determined one thing and it's that it can't be any smaller than a 580cc machine. I have had tons of riding time on snowmobiles but never owned a newer one of my own and I figure it's time. I know if I go anything smaller than a sled of that power and I'll be regretting my purchase as soon as I'm out on the trail and can't keep up. My cash flow only allows for about $1,500 to $2,000 to spend so my options are somewhat limited. I've been leaning towards then Yamaha Vmax 600 since I've heard nothing but great things about it in both power and reliability. Also have heard great things about the Skidoo Rotax 583 motors. Having drivin one personally I really really like the power. I've looked at Artic Cat 580's,ZR's,ZRT's,MXZ's,VMax,Polaris,etc. I'm just looking for advice on which direction to go, or atleast what to look for. Are there 2 or 3 sleds out there in my price range that I will be pleased with for a season or two? Thanks to all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:08 AM

Re: Good sleds in the 94\'-96\' range?

I have a '96 ZRT600 with an 1 1/2" track, I bought back in '98 for $3,500 so now the prices should be right around what you're looking at I'm sure. I like the ZRT, the power is awesome for only being a 600 and everything I ever read in the snowmobile mags said it was the fastest 600 out back when the 600 triples were popular, but then again I don't have any experience with any of the other sleds. If you look at an AC, check the primary clutch for heat stress cracks, mine had them and exploded taking out one of the pipes in the process, and I know of 5 other ZRT600's in my area that are the same year with the exact same problem with the stock primary clutch. If you plan on spending a lot of time in deeper snow, I would look for a twin instead of a triple, unless you look at something like the Powder Extreme, the ZRT is too heavy on the front end for real deep powder, so when you slow down for a tight turn, it plows and gets stuck way too easy, and when it does get stuck, it's too heavy to just pick up and move. I have had to dig it out then pack down a 30-40 foot runway to get going fast enough to stay on top and get moving again. If you decide really want a triple, if you bought a Powder Extreme at least you would have wider ski's and a longer track to help keep it up. I do know I tried following a 2000 ZR500 in the deep snow one time that was running a deep track, and he had no problems going wherever he wanted, even though I was plowing and getting stuck, if you're a smaller rider a good 500 twin might be a good choice for you too, they're faster than one would think they are with a light rider. I know this probably isn't much help, since it's only about 1 sled, but any of the other short track triple sleds should share similar characteristics when it comes to deep snow capabilities. Maybe it will help you a little in making the big decision. Good Luck and hopefully somebody else will post and give you some advice on the other sleds. When you finally get your new ride, post back and let us know what you got. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Jay_Roll

I live in Michigan so the idea of deep powder is around a couple feet at most lol. I'll mostly be doing trail riding with the occasional across the field or lake playing. I highly doubt I will have trouble with getting stuck in such shallow snow although I'm sure it is possible. Thanks a lot for your reply, it helped me out quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 05:46 PM

I had a AC 580 with the batteryless EFI and loved it. I never had any problems with it. I also owned a ZRT 800 but found I actually had more fun on the 580, it was a great trail sled. I had to stiffen up the suspension a bit but I'm good sized guy. I'm sure there are others out there with better advice but those are the only sleds I've owned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2004, 09:52 PM
Warrior00

i have a 93 indy XLT 580 1200 obo.. im in Iowa.. look at my post toward the top.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode