Polaris ACCS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polaris ACCS

Is anyone else having trouble with the altitude compensating carburetor system (ACCS) on the polaris? I ride in the Sierra Nevada mountains, we park at 8200 ft and ride up to 12000ft. The '99 RMK 700 and '99 RMK 600 all lean out too much and cut out, flip the choke half on and it runs better.....it depends on the jetting, stock jetting is better than a leaned out set up. My '98 RMK 600 runs awesome up there....great from 4000-13000ft, it has no accs! I jetted my brother in laws '99 700 to '98 mains, pilots, and needles (155, 40, and #71), plugged off the accs, vented the carbs into the airbox, and guess what??? It "RIPPS"!!! The accs is now coming off of 3 more sleds. Alot of people in that area are bad-mouthing the Polaris now, they don't know the fix. Has anyone else had any problems?
John

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 06:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Polaris ACCS

At first I thought The ACCS on my '99 700 RMK was great, but lately I've noticed that at the higher altitudes my sleds cuts out too. It happens when we jump our sleds. Maybe it would be better to diconnect it?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like if you stop jumping you might cure the problem too.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've heard of alot of people removing the ACCS. I haven't yet, as typically I ride 7-9000 ft. and haven't noticed a problem on my '00 700rmk. I did hear the '01 RMKs will not have the ACCS and will have the flatside carbs.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 06:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We ride between 9000 and 11500 ft. And , I CAN'T QUIT JUMPING! It's one of the things that make sledding fun!!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 12:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK so what do I have to do to get my wifes 99 600 RMK jetted right?I went down to 178/180 mains and it runs great on the flats and trails but point it uphill and it dies! sometimes it will go up halfway or 2/3 but always ends up shutting down.VERY FRUSTRATING!!!! Anyway I put the stock 185 mains back in it and now it runs uphill but it feels like it is wayyyyy too rich.Still have the damn ACCS hooked up but also have it on my 700 which runs perfect.What should I do now,jet back down and remove the ACCS or live with this dog?Thanks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 10:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vince I never have had the problems with my 99 600 RMK as you have described. That is why I feel the ACCS system should be [censored] canned. How do you test it? Can the dealer test and verify its calibration? I have read many posts on the ACCS system and the only thing in common is that none of the sleds run the same or are jetted the same. I finally took mine off. I did have mine dialed in close before I took it off. But now the sled will start one pull when warm. I could post my jetting here but it is subject to change so I put my findings on my website. http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker goto pictures/snowmobiling/carburator.txt
PS I got a lean bog with a 180 main/ACCS/boost bottle setting at 4000ft.

Visit our homepage at
http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2000, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

In 99 there were calibration problems with the ACCS units, especially on the 700s. It sounds like there are two problems you guys are describing: cutting out at altitude (or climbing at altitude), and jumping. Both can be related to float levels. Keihins are very sensitive to float level and you should get the gage for checking the heights and adjusting as necessary. AS far as Polaris not knowing, have you checked the Team Tips info for 99 RMK corrections? Your dealer should have a copy of the Tips. I believe the initial complaints of the ACCS were fuel consumption related and may not pertain to your present issues. But, if you have further inquiries, let me know and I can dig up some info.

Rick"it came in a box that way"!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-20-2000, 02:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My only question is... will my '99 700 RMK run any better if I remove the ACCS?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-21-2000, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No - IF, IF your ACCS is calibrated correctly along with your jetting. Without ACCS it will always start better when warm, one good pull, no throttle.
Back to your previous post about jumping and cutting out, I have to reconsider what I just said... Its probable and highly likely that it is a carb issue. And also possibly ACCS related. Why do I say the machine starts better? because with no engine/carb vacuum the engine is jetted very rich. For example 185 mains for ACCS vs 160 mains without. The ACCS system uses carb vacuum, the vacuum is applied to the float chamber which reduces the differential pressure between the float bowl and the venturi, which leans out the carb by reducing fuel flow. Without vacuum the float bowl is at atmospheric pressure and is carburated overly rich, which occurs during no or low RPM's. Jumping may cause this by fuel entering the vacuum line to the ACCS and temporarily plugging it, thereby enrichening the mixture. The Keihin carburators by themselves are supposed to be well engineered for jumping, see their webpage. It is a guess but probably worth the try to toss the crap and see.

Visit our homepage at
http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode