800 TWINS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

800 TWINS

Has anyone heard the HP specs on the new Ski Doo 800 twin? I know it weighs 474 lbs dry.

The ZR 800 twin (actually it's a 785) pumps out near 140, but does it weigh? I have a feeling she's a tank.

Does Polaris plan to get more ponies out of theirs? They better, with only a 128 ponies, they'll be the under dog. (What do they weigh?)

Any way you look at it, the light weight 800 twins have torque that is unbelievable! Gotta have it... which one would you buy!??

'99 MXZ 600 & '00 5.3 Silverado
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 800 TWINS

I've done some looking at the 800's also. the cat weighs in the 490's and per the dealers creates about 140hp. I've also looked into the skidoo. Dealers claim that is also will create about 140 ponies but is more than 20 lbs lighter. The big concern for me know is the mpg. I do a lot of ridding the the upper peninsula of Mich. and if you have ever ridden there, you know that gas can be hard to come by. One dealer informed me that at the AC dealer show, AC was saying that the zr was supposed to get between 14-18 mpg with the new power valves. I have not heard about the mxzx. The AC is about $1000 dollars cheaper. Do you get what you pay for? let me know what you hear.

jj

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2000, 03:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I worked at Arctic Cat while the 785 was being developed... it definitely scoots! BUT, I also know it's heavy. The engine alone weighed over 90 lbs, but the power and torque was slightly over 140 hp and 100ft-lbs... I am not sure what the release engine weighs or it's power stats, but I can assure you that it will never see 18 mpg! My guess would be around 11 mpg tops(which is really good for a Cat).

The MXZ x 800 spec sheets are out and available at any ski doo dealership (474 lbs dry). As far as HP numbers go, I have 'heard' the same, around 140. I would like to know for sure before I buy.

They are snow checking them here (Minnesota) for about 7900... the one thing the MX 800 has over the ZR 800, is that the MX is in the x chassis and the ZR is just a ZR (not the sno-pro)--correct me if I am wrong.

Let me know if you hear of anything new...

Adam

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polaris will be 130 - 135 hp, Torque?
Arctic will be 140 - 143 hp and 98 ft-lbs
Ski-Doo will be around 140 hp? Torque?
Yamaha 800 twin? Right...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Guy's. I snow checked the AC ZR 800 LE. I know a great dealer out here in Ontario, he set me up with a really great deal. I know this guy will look after me, and set this sled up as hot as it can get. I think that knowing the dealer is half the battle of which brand you buy. There is nothing worse than buying a sled from an ass. Then you have to driving miles to get some half decent service. Anyway back to the sled, I read in Supertrax Magazine that this sled will pick up her ski's at 3000 RPM. I'm not sure if this is true or not, nor do I know if the other brands can do this as well? But hell, I do know my old one couldn't do that, and I'm sure looking forward to seeing an early winter this year. As soon as I get that puppy out of the crate and on the snow, I will let you guy's know if it's really true or not.
Icecube

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2000, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only people that B.S. more than me are snowmobile companies. If you believe their listed weights, I've got a bridge to sell. :-)
I will say this. I got to look over the Mountain Cat 800 a couple weeks ago. It felt light! I could pick up the front end much easier than
my XLT and the rear also. Using the mountain bar to roll the sled on it's side took less effort then any other machine I have ever tried,
although that is also the product of TALL handle bars and narrow ski stance. Go with the dealer that treats you best, the 800 class is
going to be really close in '01.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2000, 04:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

polaris-135hp 120lbs/tq
arctic cat-140hp 100lbs/tq
ski-doo-140hp
hp does not matter in the mtns. torque is what you want and 20 more of it will definitely help

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 04:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are right about the 120 ft-lbs of torque, I will buy a polaris next year... BUT, I won't believe it until I see it...

Adam

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SLP wrote the article "Stage tuning the 800 RMK" in the Winter 99-00 issue of SnowTech Magazine. They dynoed the stock 800
Polaris at 86.3 ft lbs at the CRANK. You can read their version at http://www.startinglineproducts.com/800stagetuning.html

http://mtaonline.net/~mhbs/Moorefamily/tmx.html
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ski doo 800 is 135 h.p.

polaris is 132-135 h.p.
artic cat is 140-142 h.p. but a little heaver than the 2 before,but also ALOT stronger built.
they are all good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode