removing and replacing a rear shock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

removing and replacing a rear shock

Over the weekend I discovered that my (97 XCR) rear fox shock is shot. I need to remove it to take it to the shop to have it rebuilt. I have never removed the rear shock without pulling the entire suspension. Can it be done? Are there any tricks? I'm thinking that it would be easiest if I pulled the back support bolt and dropped the rear of the track. Is this necessary? I want to avoid unecessary steps.

P.S. I'm doing this tonight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2000, 11:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: removing and replacing a rear shock

From what I hear the rear shock can come out of an Xtra 10 without removing the suspension. I prefer to remove the suspension. As
a Fox shock rebuilder I can almost guarantee the front of the rear susp. shock is probably due for a service also. If the rear
suspension of the machine is sagging too much it is most likely your springs are shot also. E-mail me with more ??? if you like.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

How many miles should a rebuilt fox shock be good for? I had all four shocks rebuilt less than 350 miles ago.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Depending on how hard you ride...somewhere between 500 and a 1000 for tough trail riders, once a year or 2000 miles for easy going
folks. I did eight shocks for two guys for a 400 mile cross country race...all are in really good shape and I doubt we'll rebuild them
until next year. Now I doubt that your front of the rear is shot...What happened to the rear of the rear shock??

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't really think of anything that happened too extreme. The trails were really bumpy the last day. I my 8 year old step son (60lbs) was riding in front of me on the seat. I weigh around 190-200 lbs. We were going pretty slow the whole time, because of the rough trails and riding double with the little one. The shock was working fine at the beginning of the ride, because I specifically remember bouncing up and down on it a little to test the travel. After the ride I lost about 2-3" off the top portion of the shock travel. The rear end now sags under it's own weight for that top 2-3".

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-26-2000, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One of the most common misconceptions in snowmobiling is that sag is the product of a bad shock. The shock only controls the
rate at which the suspension compresses and rebounds. If there is too much sag it is almost always the springs. A completely
blown shock will not effect how high the suspension returns. Rear springs should be replaced about every 2000 miles for best
performance.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-28-2000, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I will look into it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode