Which sled to buy? Arctic Cat, Ski Doo or Polaris - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which sled to buy? Arctic Cat, Ski Doo or Polaris

I'm looking to get a used sled (3-4 years old) to do some trail and open riding. I'm 6'7" and 260lbs. and was wondering which make and engine size I should be looking at. Go with a liquid cool or oil cooled? 700cc at a minimum? Artic Cat Thundercat? MachZ? I was on my friends 1990 Artic Cat Wild Cat 650cc and it seemed to pull me around pretty good. I am a speed fanatic!

Any suggestions would be helpful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which sled to buy? Arctic Cat, Ski Doo or Polaris

What is your price range? How much experience do you have? What type of riding will you be doing the majority of the time (ie, bumpy trails, lake racing etc.)?

I would say right off the bat that if you want to beat your buddies you better have a machine with a better weight/horsepower ratio than theirs' to make up for your 6'7' 260lbs.

All around good machines 3-4 years old are Ski-Doo Formula III 600, Polaris XCR 600, Polaris Ultra (700cc) or Polaris XLT (xtra 10 or xtra 12). Considering your size you may want to seriously consider the XLT they have extra long travel rear suspension. The ultra and xcrs (depending on the year) will also have xtra 10 or 12, but it was first introduced on the XLT. I don't know much about the Artic Cats of this era, but I hear they offered some good models. Stay away from Yamaha's of this era, they are behind the times. If you look at a Yamaha, look for a '98 or newer.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello Snowball,

The maximum I really like to spend is $3500. Most of my riding will be on trails and occassional lake riding. I have been riding/borrowing sleds for the last 5 years. I was on a Polaris Indy Trail this past weekend and my friend with his Wild Cat blew me off in a drag race on a 1/4 mile section of a trail. He also is a big guy. Both sleds are studded. It did cruise easily with them on the trails 60-70 MPH on some sections.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 03:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i don't know about the 600 triple ski-doo, as they had some serious crank failure problems

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well.. don't Discount the YAMAHA Sleds..... a 700SX-R will suit you right.. www.yahamausa.com/snow.htm

Uzi... Yamaha Sleds, Honda Bikes, and Ford Trucks
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2000, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

An XLT won't run with a Wildcat, but it's still a really nice sled. A '96 or '97 with low miles should cost in the low 3 thousand range.
Swap out the rear springs for ones off of a two-up XLT and you'll be set. You should also be able to find a ZRT600 or 800 in the same
price range, both will take a Wildcat most of the time and have better suspension then most years of the Wildcat. I have also seen
quite a few '98 ZR600's in my world showing up for around $3500, they have outstanding handling and will stomp a Wildcat out of the
hole.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2000, 10:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey iam a polaris tech so you know what brand i am going to recommend if you want a sled with lots of steam and one you don't have to hang off the handle bars at every sharp turn try a xc 700 at only 15 lbs more than an xc600 but make sure it has the cooling system update if your looking at a 98 the only other sled that can come close is a zr 600 they work well although they are not quite as fast but remember if you can't buy it build it

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2000, 03:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you plan to spend any time in the powder, get a '97 or newer Polaris RMK 700 or a '98/newer RMK 600 would even pull you around. If you don't need the 1 3/4 inch paddle track for the powder, get a Polaris XC 600 or 700...stay with the twin cyl. I try to remain unbiased, and believe all of the newer snowmobiles are good, but the guys that I ride with that consistantly do the best overall (trail, mountain/powder, race) ride the Polaris. I've seen many skidoo and articcat riders switch to the polaris after seeing the versatility of the RMK. I've seen 3 artic cat and skidoo's "taco" trees trying to run in the various conditions with the polaris RMK. Remember, they are all good in their own way...I just think the polaris is a better all around machine.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-25-2000, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Most taller people (I'm one of them) find Arctic Cat to be the fitting. They have the most room for taller people. It will help on all models to use a steering riser block to keep the bars off of your knees.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Being as no one else here will say it, I will. Go to your local dealers and TD any machines that are in your price range. Then buy the one you liked the best. None of the machines are really bad and none are exceptionaly good. Pick the one you like and you will be happy. Listen to someone else and you wont like it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode