rmk mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rmk mileage

I was just reading some posts on Snowest. Guys were talking about getting 10 or 11 !! mpg on 700-800 rmks. I've now got 1400 miles on my '00 700 and won't even get 7mpg. It's the only complaint I have for the sled. I run the 144 track; that's got to hurt it some, but what else can I do? I dropped the needle one position to help get rid of a low end bog, and my dealer adjusted the airscrew some (I don't know how much). I can live with bad mileage - I like the sled enough to. But if you all are getting better I would appreciate hearing some ideas..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 04:06 PM
snownut

Re: rmk mileage

I think you have to question the conditions in which they were getting that mileage verses you. Riding styles and conditions make a huge difference. As well, are you a leader (trailbreaker) or follower? When I break trail my mileage goes down dramatically. If I am in a new area and following, I tend to be not as aggressive, therefore I'm not in the throttle all the time. On the rmk I just sold, I typically didn't get much more than 8-9 mpg unless I was trail riding or on hard pack conditions.

Snownut

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm only breaking trail some of the time. I do like making my own tracks as much as possible, even when I'm not in front. I had a '96 670 summit that I rode for two seasons. It didn't matter how hard I rode it - it got 10mpg. I rode a '99 600 summit all last year and got 8mpg. My wife rides it now (soft) and gets 10mpg. I've got several friends that ride new 700 rmks. Some ride like I do, some take it a little more easy. I think most of them get less than 8mpg. Maybe I am just on the hammer more than I used to be. Hey, maybe that's why I'm stuck just some of the time and not all the time! I like this sled enough to live with crappy mileage whether it's me or it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 99 600 RMK gets about 6 to 8 MPG. Easy rides vs all out hard ride in the deep seems to make no difference. I put the Y2K jetting in the sled and it is very close to perfect. Sled is very strong, plugs look good and I ride from 4 to 9000 ft. I have the 136x2" track very loose and the clutching is perfect. I have considered closing off the primer circuit to see if it will help gas mileage and I would like to see the sled start with one pull when warm. (I have to give it a little throttle when warm.) My only addition is a boost bottle which I don't believe helped anything much... performance, driveability, starting or mileage. I guess I believe the breathing characteristics of this engine is the cause...a lot of unburned gas going down the pipe in the 5000 to 6000 RPM range. Someone once said the Keihin carbs are the culprit. Can someone verify this? Poor jetting in general doesn't affect gas mileage that much, for example I just read where someone claimed his XC700 gets 12-14 MPG vs my 6-8. (I believe his elevations where about 3000 ft.) My jetting is real close. Is he wrong? My wife's '00 550 RMK gets only 10-12 MPG and she doesn't ride hard. I don't like to be long winded but I would like to see some answers.

Visit our homepage at
http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have to give it a little throttle when mine's warm. Also on a hill it takes 2or3 pulls to get going. I haven't asked my dealer yet whats up with that. Maybe float bowl level? Back when I rode Skidoos the Polaris guys always mentioned the "starting while on a hill" thing with the summits. Now my Skidoo buddies are making fun of me.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 99 550 RMk & a 00 600 RMK. The 550 gets between 9 & 10 mpg. It also has a slight vapor lock problem when started after sitting a while when warm. The 600 gets about 8.5 overall. Like mentioned by others, you need to open the throttle a bit (1/8-1/4) to get it to catch when warm. Usually starts on the first pull though.

After addressing the slider wear problem on the 600, I find both to be super sleds. I use the 550 for later season riding here (Colo.) and to take back for some trail riding/ditch-banging once a year in Mn/Wis. Heading up there in about a week. Hope Ma Nature dumps a good shot of the fluffy stuff up there between now and then!

Dave

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have both a 600 and a 700 RMK,99 models which get between 7-10 mpg depending on whether we are really pushing them in the deep powder and trees and hills or just running the trails and pack snow with the short track sleds.I have noticed that my buddys 800 ate about a tank to a little less than half on my 700 and I spent more time trying to get stuck with the new track! His sled is doing a little better now but I have spent some time also getting my jetting and clutching closer to what I want and his is pretty much right off the floor.All depends on how you ride but with these sleds it just doesn't matter cuz you can't possibly have it any better huh!Have fun all and we'll see ya on the snow!Vince.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 02:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Who cares what kind of gas mileage you get with an rmk. They weren't designed for top fuel economy. They are a mountain sled! I fyou want something with good gas mileage get a 340 lite with a 121" track.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 02:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a somewhat modified (155hp) 97 700 144", and I get between 5 and 5.5 mpg.
We ride from 6000' to 9000', and play on the hills quite a bit. I feel that it's a fair trade off, power for mileage. I'm real happy with it.
See ya at the gas pumps!
X700

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2000, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 00 700 136/1 3/4" track and got about 8 mpg for the first 400 mi. with factory jetting. I went down one size on the mains, the pilots from 145 to 142, dropped the needle one notch and set the air screw 1/2 turn out. I now have 1000 mi. and have been geeting 10 to 10.5 mpg. Did nothing to the clutch, Runs great. Needs new hifax at 1000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode