Understanding clutches - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Understanding clutches

I don't understand when you guys talk about sleds changing gears. Could someone explain please. I thought the clutch just got tighter centrifugly in a continous motion. It doesn't????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2000, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Understanding clutches

I'm no mechanic, but I've been reading a little about clutching just this season. You should subscribe to SNOWTECH magazine. It is by far the best one out there for guys like us that would like to know more about how and why these machines do what they do. They also have a website. There was also an artcle in (I think) SNOWMOBILE that did a good job explaining things in layman's terms about how clutches work.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2000, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Understanding clutches

Think of your clutches as a front and rear sprocket on a motor cycle that keeps changing sizes (gear ratios) As you apply power the
front clutch (drive clutch) squeezes the belt and pushs it upward and outward in the clutch sheaves. Meanwhile the rear clutch
(driven) allows the belt to be sucked deeper into it's sheaves. This creates a near 1:1 drive ratio at cruising speed. When you let off
the throttle the front allows the belt to fall deeper into it's sheaves and the belt moves out on the sheaves of the rear. This is backshift.
Clutch weights and springs on the drive clutch and the spring and the helix on the driven effect the rate and ammount of force that is
used to make this process happen. You can change the final drive ratio (from the driven to the track) through changing the gear ratio
in the chain case. Hope this helps.

Doug

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode