Drive belts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drive belts

What brand of drive belt is everyone using?
Have stock belt on my Grand Touring 500LC, 600 miles on it, belt has stretched 1/2inch. Could this be why I've lost 20mph top end?
Roger

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 08:42 PM
Pete

Re: Drive belts

I've had great luck with a dayco ultimax 2. After close to 3000 miles on an XLT, I saw about 1/16" difference in width compared to a new belt, and it never hourglassed, a problem I've had over and over with the polaris belts. Now I'm trying a gates xtreme, of which I've heard good things.
As for speed, a belt that fits incorrectly will affect it. Too tight, and it won't shift all the way out on the primary clutch. Too loose, and it won't shift out all the way in on the secondary. The correct fit will also improve your takeoff by ensuring that you start off in the proper "gear".
Pete

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2000, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also use Dayco Ultimax's, but I've found that the regular Dayco Max's last almost as long at 1/2 the price.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2000, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

On my 94 XLT, I used Dayco and had great wear from them. Since I bought my '99 RMK 700, I've used nothing but the Polaris brand belts and had pretty good luck with them. I have heard bad things about Gates belts, but since I've never used them, I can't honestly tell you how they perform.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2000, 07:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, found my top end again! Was the belt! Hard to believe that 1/2inch stretch made the difference.
These are stock Bombardier belts, next one will be an Ulimax 2, will see how that lasts.
We ride extremly hard when we go out, trying to get as many miles in as we can in a day. Usually 150-250 a trip, rough moguls wooded trail riding in northern Mich. rog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode