WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2000, 07:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!

I was wondering what the hell my sled is doing. It is a 1992 Polaris indy 650rxl. I know this sled should do around 100-110mph. I took it for a ride to day and floored it across a lake. It maxed out at 80-85mph. I checked the cylinder compression(its perfect). I replaced the spark plugs a month a go. When I ride it it bogs in the begining but rips off after a few seconds. And when I go about 40 and punch it it also bogs down to about 38 but then rips off again up to 70. If you can help it would be greatly appreciated. I am starting to think maybe the fuel injector is clogging? or maybe it needs a tune up if you can get one for a snowmobile? Any comments would help. Thanks,bean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2000, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!

WELL FIRST THING YOU NEED TO DO IS RIDE IN ON A GOOD HARD SERFACE LIKE A ROAD AND SEE WHAT A DIFFERENCE IT WILL MAKE. RIDING IT IN POWDERY SNOW LIKE ON A LAKE WILL KILL YOUR POWER AND YOUR MPH.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 12:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I think I am going to save up money and see if my local dealer can't give it a tune up. I don't know if this is the problem but since it has about 7,000 miles on it I figure a tune up won't hurt it. I also have another question. I was wondering how much it would cost for a dealer to winterise my snowmobile. Or should I just do it my slelf.Oh yeah how much does it cost for a tune up done by a dealer.thanks,bean

p.s. I am going to try to do the hard packed surface test and see if it makes a difference. thanks,bean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Although my machine isn't fuel injected, my 1990 Indy 650 will typically do just a hair over 100 mph with my 215 lbs on it. I'm quite sure your's should be right around there for top speed.

Right now I'm trying to tune mine up to get rid of an old bogging problem and although I've basically solved that through clutching, now it looks like the low speed jetting is all wrong (or something - I haven't figured it out yet).

These piston port machines are quite finicky to both clutching and fuel mixture. It doesn't take much to loose top end and it takes even less to create a bog.

Steve S.
http://home.off-road.com/~ovo/members/sshaw/sshaw.htm
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2000, 09:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I took the sled to a lake and floored it all the way across. It wasn't so much that it was on a soft surface. But it was becuase my plugs were fouling really bad. As soon as I put new plugs in it it could pull wheelies like normal. thanks,bean

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2000, 10:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crank seals. Check them right away before you melt it down!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode