RMK slider wear - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 09:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

RMK slider wear

Anyone been having problems burning sliders out quickly on the RMK's? Mine were worn thru after only 150 miles on my 2000/600 RMK. Adjustment (loose), alignment and/or marginal snow was not the problem.

I saw that in their catalog SLP has a kit of "pads" (actually, flat-headed stainless bolts) for the problem. Also occurs on Summits and is due to the every 3rd window being closed and the lack of track-clips on the newer Camoplast tracks. When I called SLP, they said they wore out some their original sliders in around 100 miles!

I have ordered the pad kit, Hiperfax and a wheel kit. Hope this cures it..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 12:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: RMK slider wear

I have 550 miles on a 144 kit and haven't seen any apprecible wear yet.
the wifes sled has 432 miles on it 136,,, and it seems to be wearing a little.
good luck

stracer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2000, 01:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i also have noticed high fax wear,but only in low snow conditions.
i have close to 1000 miles on original sliders.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 12:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have 98-700 RMK with 3000mi on it and sliders are still 60% remaining and I dont have any wheel in the skid frame I also had a 95 XLT with 8500mi an it and the sliders were better than 50% remaining when I sold it. The secret is to run the track tension as loose as posible just tight enough that it wont ratchet and put a 5/16"x 11/4 bolt in the aft inboard corner of each ski.
My track tension(141) is adjusted so that you can just see across under the Hifax and over the drive lugs on the track.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 99 700 RMK with 750 miles on it and my brother just bought a 98 700 RMK with 1100 miles on it. The hifax on my sled is about half worn, and yet the hifax on the 98 still looks new! Just does not make any sense...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2000, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a buddy with 00 rmk 700. At 180 miles sliders were finished. Dealer he bought it from said everyone is coming back with same problem. Polaris is blaming it on trail riding. Of the 180 miles only 30 were even close to trail miles. Another dealer said lots of people were complaining also. He had a service bulletin from Polaris that recommended adding additional boggie wheels near front of the track ($60.00 for the wheels). He has added the wheels will find out this weekend with new sliders if this helps the problem.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 700 00 with 550 mi. mostly trail and show very little wear. Go figure!

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thx for the responses...

I finally got all my parts and will be out this Friday to see if it will correct Polaris' major screwup.

My dealer was "unaware of any problems". I asked him if anyone was actually riding any of the RMKs that he sold. Plus he didn't have any hifax in stock!! I don't think there is any way the hifax would have lasted the way it was set up (per Polaris spec.). I loosened the track about 1-1/2 turns on each side before I even took it out. Of the 150 miles, only about 30-35 were on trails. Have now loosened the track up more (approx. to what Chuck suggested above) after putting on the new hifax, pads and extra wheels.

I've had several Polaris in the last few years, but if this is the way Polaris delivers and warrantees a sled in its 4th year of production, up theirs! Maybe there's an nice blue Yammi in my future.

P.S. If those new closed-window tracks are so good, why is Polaris trying to unload them? A local dealer (Xtreme - Erie, Colo.) has them advertised in the paper for the last 6 weeks for $250 delivered to your door!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2000, 11:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also saw chucks post, and through lots of time tuning and riding(adjusting as I went) I ended up close to the same as his. That was just where the track and sled came together, but it works great and doesn't skip!!

stracer
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2000, 09:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

One of my sledding buddies just bought a '00 700 RMK a week ago. He's gone out twice and put on 130 miles total. The sliders are shot! Good snow conditions too, about 6 to 12" of powder riding. He's already put on some high priced after-market sliders, but to say the least, he is not happy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode