600 xcr rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

600 xcr rebuild

I have been blessed with the wonderful opportunity of rebuilding my '95 600 xcr. It burnt the pto side piston. I haven't had it apart yet, but no hole was visible on the top of the piston. I have been running a little rich to try to avoid this mess.......I guess that's impossible. I bought it used last season and really don't know what it's been through. Does anyone have suggestions or comments to keep in mind while I'm rebuilding it?????? Any help is greatly appreciated!
thanks, Monkey.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2000, 04:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 600 xcr rebuild

I just got done doing open heart surgery on Frankenstein. I had a really good machine shop bore it 20 over and re-chamfer the ports,
added an oversize set of Wiseco pistons and rings and we were running in three days. Make sure that no junk got into you crank
case. I did the work myself and it was a piece of cake. You'll need a friend or a patient wife to help hold the cylinder block while you
insert the pistons into the bores. Total cost was $330.00.

However, I have rebuilt dozens of chainsaws and single cylinder motorcycle engines, so I was'nt too afraid of my first multicylinder
two stroke.

You have to watch the early 600's like yours. They don't get enough oil at times on the PTO side crank bearings. My brother had the
local Polaris shop add another oil line and now it works better than ever. (He ate two cranks.) I believe it was a Polaris official
modification so your dealer may know something. Good luck.

Oh yeah, the first rule of rebuilds is find out the cause of your problems first. Like a leaking carb flange, base gasket, or jetting.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2000, 09:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 600 xcr rebuild

I just went through the top end on my 87- 600 triple last week. I used a large hose clamp to compress the ring in order to get the cylinders to drop on smoothly as to not mess up the rings. Since my triple has seperate cylinders I only needed one hose clamp and you may need two or three. It will save you a whole lot of time and even a few nasty words. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode