boondocking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 08:04 PM
deepnsteeP

boondocking

I've been thinking of building my own boondocking sled. I was wondering what some people think as the ideal track length. I read and article in Snowmobiler, and it said that the longer the track, the better for this particular type of riding. Also, what size of motor would work well. I want to keep it light as possible. That same article said that a motor with a lot of power at slow speeds is the best.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: boondocking

The polaris 700 twin may be your best bet. It provides excellent
low end torque, reliablity a boondocker needs, and several options
to increase H.P. and torque.
Buy a copy of ModStock magazine excellent source of boondocking
products.
good luck .

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 09:22 AM
snownut

Skidoo 700 Summit 136", hands down. Smooth power band so you don't dig holes quickly, and easy to manuever. I have both a 700rmk and a summit, and the skidoo takes my preference.

Snownut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 09:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I rode a 99 summit 600 all last season. It went anywhere any of the 700s went and it handled really well in the trees once I changed the skis. I'm now riding a 00 rmk 700, and am becoming a convert. I rode it with the 144" track for the first time yesterday. It would go anywhere! It's not quite as nimble as a 136" but with the extra flotation and traction it doesnt need to be. Once I get used to it I think I'll be able to whip it around like I could with the summit.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 12:56 PM
deepnsteeP

Where can I find ModStock. Looked all over the internet and couldn't find it anywhere. Asked the dealer also and they didn't know either.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2000, 07:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mod-Stock is put out by our friends at www.snowest.com

Mark
PowderBound
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rmk 700 and summit are very close. They ride different. I like the ride of the rmk and how it handles in the powder. The stock ski-doo skis really suck. If you buy a doo save alittle money for new ski.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2000, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

have a summit 700 136". any ideas on widing kit or changing the skis. have a buddy with 700RMK it doesn't have the power of the summit but it handles better. Also any clutching ideas on the summit?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 10:13 AM
snownut

I put the Simmons on my 700 Summit (136), and wasn't sure at first, but after 4-5 rides, they are the way to go, I put the yellow ski with the red splash on the back, and with a red holeshot I get alot of comments on how good it looks. The simmons is a little pricy, but the abuse that I have already put them through would have destroyed the slp ultralites that I had on my 700 rmk.

Snownut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode