Mountain Helix - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2000, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mountain Helix

I have a question concerning Mtn. helix angles for all.Just finished installing my x-mas presents,An SLP single pipe,set of FOX shocks and 144 track on a 1999 Polaris 700 RMK. Looks great but here is the catch,My buddy also rides the same sled and wants the same setup for his so I order everything at the local dealer and when we open up the boxes I find out that the helix I got from the local dlr. is a dial-a-spring mtn. Helix as per recommended in the SLP catalog/and yellow-purple secondary spring.The setup I purchased from TCP contains a way different helix,not a dial-a-spring and TCP special secondary spring.Now for the problem,I want both sleds to run good ( of course) and don't know which one to run soooo,I am going to try the TCP setup first for about half a day then switch over and try the SLP recommended setup.Any ideas or input on this before I start would be appreciated as obviously once I run the helix I own it and I would rather not find out the hard way which one doesn't work well.We both ride about the same,sleds are almost new,barely 330 miles and ride at about 9000 to 11000 feet.By the way the helix angles I have are 40-46/32L,this is the TCP custom cut helix which I have in my sled and 45-50/36M dial-a-spring which is the recommended setup from SLP.I like the idea of the dial-a-spring but don't know what to do now.Any input would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 03:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Mountain Helix

wish I could help ya but I'm going through the same thing with my 800rmk and it's a real pain. Good luck to you, I hope it works out as inexpensively as possible!!!!!!!!!

stracer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran the SLP setup last year (62.5 g lightning weights, dark blue drive, 46-32L helix, and TCP spring). Ran great, but did have a slight problem holding RPM. The 46-32L does tend to drop RPM's a little. I ran a 50-32S from TCP and it also worked great.... I ran a 50-36 Struthers Hot Seat Helix this year and found that I could not get good track speed in powder. If your in Utah, would be happy to let you try my 46-32L or 50-32S or 50-36JACK.....

Corey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input!Yes I live in Utah ,I run a shop in Pl. Grove.I will be going up to woodland to play with the clutching on Friday so I will probably get back to you with the results and may even hit you up on that offer.We are also going up again Saturday in case I have to do any other changes as the sled will probably take a little getting used to again.Where are you located in Utah and where do you ride?By the way to the person who wrote back on your 800 keep me posted on it as one of my buddies just got one and we are trying to get that low end bog out of it.Thanks alot guys! Vince

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2000, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in Sandy... Will probably ride Woodland Saturday or Sunday, depending on the weather...

Corey

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Corey, don't you have an RMK? If I remember right you sent your jugs off to Jack Struthers to have them ported. Have you ran that sled yet? If so how do you like what Jack did to it and what helix are you running? If I remember right Dan Canfield had a Jack set up with some special helix from Struthers that he really liked. What ever happened to Dan anyway?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 08:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I have a '99 RMK with Jack's porting and head work. I have had it out and actually rode with Jack last week. The sled works great and pulls like an SOB... I run a 156" and can still pull 100 MPH easily. I was running Jack's helix, but I am currently trying a 46-32L TCP helix. Will keep you posted on my findings!! Dan is still kicking

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 04:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Was the helix that Jack sells an improvement over the stock helix? Are you running twins or a single pipe? What's your opinion of the porting and headwork as far as reccomending them to someone who does a lot of boondocking through the trees as well as highmarking on the hills?
Thanks

RMK800
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 06:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I recommend the porting and head work 100%, especially for boondocking and highmarking. I am now running the twin pipes, but have run the single. Single works well, just hated the surge. You do have to run some Av gas. Jack's helix is much better than stock.....

Corey

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2000, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Last year Dan talked me into Jack's setup. I ran Jack's porting and head work with the stock pipe and Himark helix. I was real impressed. This year I added the SLP single pipe, and Supertorquer Heal clicker weights and the 144" track. Jack and I spent a day tuning the clutch a week ago. This setup rocks! I have all of the top end that Corey has mentioned but the bottom end is absolutely unbelievable. Crisp and very responsive. I have been on a lot of sleds with different setups, but these heel clicker weights are something worth checking out.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode