brakes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 11:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

brakes

i am trying to get into snowmobiling but i dont know anything about it. first question i have is braking on snowmobiles. What are the different types, if there are different types, and which type is best for what reasons? Next question is suspension. I race motocross so i have a basic understanding of suspension, but i have no idea what kind snowmobiles have. what are the best types? what should i look for in a snowmobile? next question....how important is displacement? after i decide to get a snowmobile, is it possible to test ride one at a dealer? and should i buy new or used? any help or info would be great. i cant wait to get my first snowmobile and hit the trails. thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 03:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: brakes

To start with, I believe it's always better to buy new if you can afford it. There's no sense in buying someone else's problems. Also, with a new sled, you'll have the warranty that goes with it.
Let's talk displacement (cc's). This is a personal choice, but since you are just starting out, you might want to look at something in the 600 class. Anything bigger might be a bit much. All the major manufacturers (arctic cat, yamaha, ski-doo, and polaris) produce excellent sleds in the 600 class.
The type of riding you plan to do should determine the type of sled you buy (trail, mountain, etc.). As for suspension and brakes on the newer sleds, they are all very good, and all will do the job. Technology has made leaps and bounds in the snowmobile industry in just the last 5 years.
And last, don't be afraid to ask alot of people who snowmobile questions about what sled they prefer, and what to look for. Contact dealers in your area and get as much information as you can before you decide on one brand or type of sled. Once you've made your choice on the type of snowmobile, you can't go wrong with whatever brand you decide to buy!

P.S.- And welcome to the world of snowmobiling!, there is NOTHING like it!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 04:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: brakes

maybe you should try renting a snowmobile first, just to see if you actually will enjoy sledding (which you probably will) and to give you a basic idea of what displacement gives out what amount of power, so you can judge how big of a sled by that, if that makes any sense at all. As for brakes, most new sleds have hydraulic brakes, much similar to your motocross bikes. They usually have a resevoir in the same place as your bike, except on the opposite side (where the clutch would be) polaris also makes a liqiud cooled hydralic braking system, im not sure what it the liquid cooling does though.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode