141" or 144"? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

141\" or 144\"?

I'm about to give up on waiting for polaris to send out the 144 inchers. Nobody has an answer as to when they'll show up. Is the polaris 144" that much better than a 141" camo? I've been quoted $600 for a camo track and $90 for the rail extensions. Would I need a tunnel extension?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 141\" or 144\"?

Just got my 144" track kit on the 17th. Dealer sold it to me for $650.00 shipping and tax. Only been out twice, put 121 miles on it. It seems to work well, even though the lugs are pretty soft. Can't wait for some really deep snow. I just geared down 1 tooth on the small sprocket, should make it work better on the clutches when the snow gets sticky. I am really impressed with the whole sled, ride is wonderful, power is awsome, and all the ergonomics fit like a glove. Where do you ride, if its in the cold fluffy stuff, you will have it made with the 144" track. Think snow and winter rules. The Spudman

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

run a 141 on my new 800 and love it!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did find a dealer close by that had both tracks and kits in stock. He tried the 144" and was impressed. He said the 141" worked well also and would do some side by side comparisons this weekend. I ride the Bitterroots. The snow was about 3' of loose powder a week ago, and had set up when we rode on the 24th. You could go anywhere and climb about anything with the 136". I also changed to a 19 lower sprocket and plan to see what it does tomorrow. I'll probably go with the polaris track. Happy Holidays

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I run the 144" on my '99 RMK 700, no sprocket change and it runs great. We had 3' - 4' of powder a week ago and it took me everywhere I tried. I was most impressed with the track speed while climbing in the powder.

Mark
PowderBound
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 01:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is your track speed Mark? I generally see about 40-45 on my stock 99 600 RMK.

Visit our homepage at http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
check pictures/snowmobiling

Visit our homepage at http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wasn't watching the speedometer, just going by feel and making sure the RPM's were at 8000.

Mark
PowderBound
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know... It is a little hard to look down at the guages when hanging on to a rocket shooting up to the apex of the hill :-)

Visit our homepage at
url http://www.mcn.net/~bikemaker /url
check pictures/snowmobiling
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the polaris 144 incher on my 800, the track is really soft.
we went riding this weekend and put it to the test. I found that it would outperform the camoplast tracks (141) hands down in the loose sugar powder.
I also foud that when hitting hard packed, pretty frozen snow that the camo would hook up better. All in all I feel that the polaris 144 is the best track for winding through the trees with really deep powder, or climbing in loose sugar type powder. What ever your choice when you go long you can't go wrong.
good luck with your choice of weapons:-)
happy trails
jim

stracer
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think I'll wander down to my polaris dealer and see if they have any of the 144" tracks in stock. I'm curious as to what they look like and the price. From the sound of it, if I did put one on my 99 700 RMK, I would'nt have to modify a thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode