To help or not to help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To help or not to help

Today as we were making our way out of a favorite riding area we came upon three sledders. One of them had been going too fast around a sharp corner and drove his Powder Special right off the road and rolled it down the hill about 100 yards. Idaho City now has 30" of snow with very little base under it. The hill was steep and there was no way out except for back up the hill.

To make a long story short, 15 passer-by's stopped to help this young man. Ropes were tied together, a trail was stomped out in the snow and we pulled this sled straight back up the hill. It took a total of 45 minutes to accomplish the task. While there were 15 of us that stopped to help, there were several others that just kept on going. We had 200' of rope, enough for everyone that came by and if the hekp was added we could have had him out in less time.

What makes people just keep on going and never stop to help? I have ridden with guys that would never stop to help you get out of the smallest snow bank. And then there are those riders that will help you in any condition. Who do you think that I ride with most now?

I would be interested in reading your experiences with misfortune and getting stuck in the snow.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 02:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: To help or not to help

I witnessed a similar incident last winter, only the guy was riding a thundercat! Those have got to be the heaviest sled on the market! Anyway, it took six of us about 2 hours to get him back on the road. He was so grateful, he tried to pay us afterward. We just told him that if the situation were reversed, and one of us needed some help to get out, that someone would come along to offer a hand.
I guess the point is we all need to look out for each other when we snowmobile. There are just too many bad things that can and do happen (inexpierienced riders, bad weather, mechanically unsound machines, snow covered rocks!) and when something bad happens to you, and eventually it seems to catch most of us at some time or another, you will know who the real snowmobilers are, because they will be the ones down there with you, making sure you get home.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 03:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

My brother and I helped a Summit rider last year, that took great joy in making jokes about our XLT's to his buddies well within
earshot of both of us, when his recoil starter broke. He didn't have a tool kit with him and between my brother's and mine we were
able to pull it all apart and put it back together when we found out this guys spring was broke. After using my brothers nylon strap
around the clutch to get it lit the guy thanked us profusely. We smiled and winked and said "Not to bad for a couple "powlerless" XLT
riders, eh?" The guy knew we had overheard his remarks earlier, and promptly turned all kinds of red. We found a six pack in the back
of our truck, when we got back, with a note that said he wouldn't make fun of Polaris guys any more.

On the same ride we helped another guy with a long tracked Polaris 800 (XC or XCR?) who forgot to tighten his suspension bolts
after doing the conversion. I just happen to have three the right size to replace his. This guy couldn't believe we'd stopped to help,
over 50 people had gone by without even batting an eye.

Helping people is a good way to spread the word about responsible riding, and it makes you feel good. I enjoy it as much as anything
else about riding.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just yesterday, I spent probably 45 minutes helping folks get un-stuck on West Mountain. The one time I myself was stuck, I was just 30' from the trail and as I was digging and pulling, 25 people went by, pointed and kept going. Not a single person came to help. Oh well!
Last year we towed several people off the mountain or out of spots they could not get out of.
If we see someone stopped, we always stop. I guesss the way I look at it is, Would I rather spend a few minutes helping a fellow off road recreationist or hear about it on the news or in the obituatries later?

NS

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 10:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I totally agree that a true snowmobiler would stop and help. But my only question is that is it bad for a snowmobile to put that much stress on your sled if you have top pull him out. I know that the sleds today are very heavy. My other question is that I have a 92'polaris indy 650 rxl and was wondering would it hurt my sled to pull another sled in need of a emergency. I know that a 650 is fairly large but would it put to much stress on the clutch or what not?
thanks,bean

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 11:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

don't think it would. especially a 650. i used to pull a homemade sled loaded with bails of hay around with my 78 300 citation. it was hard to get moving, and to stop, but once it was moving it was easy.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 11:31 AM
snownut

The biggest thing you might have a problem with is a belt. If someone were to tow me for very far, at the very least I would insist on paying them for a belt. Over the years I have towed quite a few people out, and personally had no ill effects except hourglassing a belt one time. When towing someone, I think you need to just take it easy, and take your time.

As far as people not stopping, well they have never been in the other persons shoes. I personally could not just blow by someone with their hood up without at least asking them if they are ok. It can be as simple as showing them an ok sign with your hand. Most the time I get an ok back, but there is an occasion when someone needs help, whether engine problems or being stuck. I personally would feel somewhat responsible if a person I blew past somehow died of exposure due to not being able to get off the mountain, and I could have done something about it.

I think common courtesy and a helpful nature is a trait that any (true) avid snowmobiler has. And besides, an oportunity for a bull session, it makes you feel good to help someone in need.

Snownut

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 12:45 PM
deepnsteeP

I had an experience last year with a small stream. Visibility was bad and I drove straight into a creek that had snow covering it except for the one spot that I had found. Needless to say, my '88 Phazer couldn't make it out on its own because of about six foot walls on either side. Finally some guys came along and helped me out. Just as soon as I got out, he took off and dropped his sled in the same hole that I had. I think that we were both thankful that each other was there.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well i did not get stuck, but a couple of yrs. ago my Trailer came off my Hitch and dropped to the ground a few miles from the Snowpark, being a fairly small female it was too heavy for me to pick up, there was several Trucks went by and did not stop to even ask if they could help ! I just got my Truck jack out and did it all by my self and had an awsome day riding with my friends !

Candy
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:11 PM
snownut

What is it with people? I think people are getting more self involved and just plain inconsiderate.

Snownut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode