yamaha SRV rear suspension question... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-1999, 08:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yamaha SRV rear suspension question...

no snow yet, so i have been spending a lot of my time in the garage lately, sitting on my snowmobile and breathing exhaust fumes. anyways, i find my rear suspension to be a little on the stiff side, and generally doesn't work all that well when sitting. also when i get on the sled, it goes down 1-2 inches or so. when i get off, it only goes up 1 inch. i can then easily pull it back up the rest of the way and it stays there. i can then lift the rear of the sled up with out the suspension moving at all (no sag???), but can't push it down again with my hands. could the shock (shocks?) be shot. its has this double shock spring thing that kinda seems like a waste considering the limited travel that i have. is there anyway to soften it up a bit? i can jump and jump and it barely moves, and feels like im jumping on a board. also, i have been working on a 94 mach 1 lately, and its C-7 suspension kind of feels like this, except it is setup for someone a lot heavier than me. also i was playing around on a friends 97 MXz 583, and it also felt firm, but not stiff, but maybe a little too stiff for trails. i haven't rode it (the srv) much yet, so im not sure how it will actually suck up the bumps. am i asking too much from my sled? i havn't had a sled that has a decent suspension, so im not sure where it should be. my other sleds, when two people sat on them, they would bottom out. for the fellow SRV owners, i weigh about 155 lbs, just in case you want to compare your weight to mine reagrding how your suspension works. sorry for the rambling! any help would be greatly appreciated!

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-1999, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: yamaha SRV rear suspension question...

I just replaced the two rear shocks and all the bushings on my 89 srv . The reason I replaced everything was the sag was to great ,I thought. After replacing the schocks the sled still has about 1" of sag but later inspection of a buddies srv I found it to has sag(2"). I'm told that sag is not bad because as you become airborn the suspension uses that sag to absorb the bump as you come back to earth. As far as the setting the firmness is concerned it sounds like it's to stiff. What you can do is put tie wraps on the shock shaft to see if your using the full shock damping or not. By the way I've seen 3 srv's and they all have had different shocks for the rear suspension.
Hope that helps.

kurt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 08:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the response. is there any way to adjust it?

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 10:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure how you adjust the setting on your type of shock. The shocks I have now are adjusted by turning the large nut that holds the spring to the shock. Lift the rear of the sled off the ground to adjust.Turning the nut clockwise will make the shock firmer. There is probably a extra nut there to act as a lock nut. If your thinking of replacing the shocks in the future don't waste your money on gas pro shocks,spend the extra cake for the fox. WELL WORTH the money. I found out the hard way.

kurt

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 02:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

upon further anlaysis i discovered these things: i can lift the back end until the suspenson maxes out and the back end starts to come off the ground. when i set it back down, the suspension does not go back down like it should. i can then stand on it, and it doesn not move. if i repeadlty jump on it, it goes down 5-6 inches and stays there (will not come up, or go down any further) when i step off, it slowly (inch every 10 seconds) notches its way back up. it also makes a cracking sound every time it moves a little up ward. it stops going up with about 3-4 inches left, where it will stay until i lift it back up with my hands. it also has an incredible notchy, unsmooth, harsh feeling. my dirt bikes, and even my old snowmobiles have a much smoother feeling. i think that my shocks are shot. also, does temperature have anything to do with it, because it seems that as it gets colder, their performance gets less and less. how do you tell if a shock is worn out? thanks in advance!

Keith
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2000, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dude, I have heard your story many times. You should be very concerned about your suspension arms (4). I f you have never drop your rear suspension you should do so VERY soon if you wish to keep your SRV. the rear susp. arms are of steel with inner cross over bars made of Aluminum (sp). the problem is that when the Alum. corrodes it expands kinda like an eruption. This causes massive amounts of fiction and the arms don't pivot as designed. I have failed to press out these Alum. shafts using heat and a 20 ton press (I had to buy new components). The owners manuals dictates that you must remove the Rear susp. every season and use a low-temp grease to lube up these 4 rods. Man you can really get caught with a real mess. My experience started when I noticed the same syptoms you have described. Then I noticed the front arm upper mounting bolts, (on each side of the tunnel up by the foot wells) because the suspension couldn't compress correctly (fiction) the bolts began TEARING through the tunnel. Actually ripping the tunnel has they tried to move toward the front of the sled. Now remember these bolts go through both the Alum tunnel and a thin steel plate connected to the bulkhead! This mess required Breaking the grade 8 bolts with a 6 foot breaker bar, wielding new steel on the tunnel (to relocate original mounting locations), and buying a used set of susp arms and new Alum cross stafts. This is a problem for every sled made to date. If you don't have grease zerks on EVERY shaft, you could be asking for trouble if you do not regularly clean and regrease these shafts. Yamaha now advertises all of the greasables bearings and shafts on the new (1997-2000) be cause it is a major issue. I have pulled out my rear susp. and had nuts wielded to the shafts so I could drill out the center of the nut and add a grease fitting. Now I can keep up with the loss of grease without total disassembly. By the way the front suspension linkage consists of an Alum arm, 2 brass bushings, a steel collar(tube) and a steel bolt. can you say galvanic reaction? Keep these collars and bolts (including the one holding the ski to the POGO stick) greased at least twice a year or you may never be able to remove any of those parts. I have had to use heat to remove the componants, then coated them with "never seize" and still had them stiffen up and not want to come out at the end of the season. There are 8 bolts and 6 collars total on the front. 4 and 3 on each side. You can drill and tap fittings into the front Alum. componants but I don't recommend it because it is too easy to remove and clean up these pieces and any zerk placed so that normal articulation will not bind em up and breack em off, will be exposed to trail hazards like branches and stuff. Good luck, and feel free to E-mail me if you need any tips on disassembly

Jess Conrad
90' FS Bronco 351 10 MPG hawg!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode