Why arent Sleds any better than 15 yrs ago - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-14-1999, 09:03 PM
Drew K1500

Why arent Sleds any better than 15 yrs ago

I have one question. I have owned snowmobiles for years and currently own an RMK 700. I also am an avid desert motorcycle racer and have been for years. The only concern i have is that of the inefficiency of todays snowmobile engines. I am glad to see that the 2 strokes i race against are running much more efficient and cleaner than those 15 years ago. I am also glad to see the big companies building competitive 4 strokes. Even though ive always raced Thumpers. Ok the question i have is that it doesnt seem that the snowmobile engines in my sled or those of my friends are any cleaner or more efficient than that of my first ski-doo 350 15 years ago. If we do get kicked out of Yellowstone I wonder if we cannot take some of the blame. I AM IN NO WAY ADVOCATING THE BAN ON ANY OHV FROM PUBLIC LAND. Its just a simple question.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-15-1999, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Why arent Sleds any better than 15 yrs ago

Hey... I have a 1970 Rupp as a beater sled. Bought it for $100. That damn thing really moves. It has a 634 Hirth motor, and I bet it pushes 90MPH... And if it had more that 1/4" of suspension, it would be great!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-15-1999, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll go back a little further when a 10-15hsp engine would get about 5-7 miles to a cdn gallon or let's say 25 to 30 miles on a tank of 20:1. It has improved, now I get double the mileage on less than 1/2 the oil.

You do have a good point, and I would imagine in the next few years there will be more synthetics and wouldn't be surprised to see the oil mixture reduced to 75:1 or 100:1.

Tom E Longname
Remove Spam from address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-16-1999, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not sure about cleaner, but they are more efficient. No, I'm not talking Miles per gallon efficiency (who cares about that!). I'm talking horsepower per (engine) pound. And smiles per gallon. I never used to get the same rush or feeling of euphoria when I squeezed the throttle of my '86 340 that I get today on my Indy Storm.

They've gotten much better, now if they could make them cleaner...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-1999, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

you raise a very good point, and I think something will happen soon, if you look around it has already happened to outboard motors.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-1999, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Am I to understand that because I ride a snowmobile with a 2 stroke engine in it, that I am no better off than 15 years ago? I do not agree with this at all. There have been a number of big improvements that come to mind that I enjoy every time I ride. I enjoy the plush ride that my fox shocks provide. The suspensions now are much better that ever. My 2" track will go through most any powder condition. And the horse power that my 700 provides me with will take me over mountains that 5 years ago we only dreamed about. In fact, 25 years ago you really could not even get off of the trail. I remember riding in the horse pasture or open field on the farm and thinking that was the best thing ever. You never got stuck! There has been a number of big changes but I also believe that you start seeing changes to 4 stroke engines more in the near future.

Yamaha has a 4 stroke engine in their WR 400F dirt bike and it runs great. Tons of power and an awesome bike to ride. So It can be done - it will soon.

Mark
PowderBound
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 09:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The greater the Miles per gallon, the cleaner they are burning!!!!

Tom E Longname
Remove Spam from address
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode