Oil Consumption - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-13-1999, 07:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oil Consumption

Is there anyone out there that can give me the straight story on OIL CONSUMPTION. I have an 99 Arctic Cat 700 PS, The oil use is in the 27-28 to 1 area. This is about 250 miles to a gallon of oil.
The dealer says "THE MORE THE BETTER" and "THE MARKS ARE LINED UP", This seems like a lot of oil to me. Being that I'm new to snowmobiling, any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-14-1999, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Oil Consumption

I've always been amazed at how different the oil consuption is from machine to machine. My Indy 650 uses about 1 liter to every two tanks of gas, which works out to about 50:1. A buddy's Yamaha Excell III uses about 500 ml to every 3 tanks of gas or about 150:1. Another friend runs an older Phazer and he averages around 100:1. Finally another friend just bought a Cat ZR500 and it supposedly uses about 1 liter to every tank (large tank) or about 35:1 (at least this is what the guy he bought it off said).

What should it be?? Who knows - I figure the north american machines should be in the 50:1 range.

27-28:1 does seem a bit much to me. Keep digging, hopefully someone with the same machine will post.

Steve S.
http://home.off-hoad.com/~ovo/members/sshaw/sshaw.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-14-1999, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my '99 700 triple ski-doo used 1 gallon of oil in 600 miles, sounds like your using to much oil to me too.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-1999, 01:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buddies' ZR 600 and 500 use about a quart to a tank, which is really close to 80 miles or 320 miles per gallon. My brothers XLT that
has an extra oil line for better lubrication uses about the same as you. He had two lower end failures and the extra oil line seems like
it solved the problem.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know about Artic Cats but Polaris has a line mark on the lever that is connected to the cable. There is another mark on the oil valve/pump. You should adjust the cable to line up each mark with the throttle at idle. This should get you the stock setting and ride for a while and calculate your oil consumption. Usually, the stock setting is conservative so you could go a little less oil. Look at the top of your piston to set how much oil is burning on top of the piston. I've heard that it should cover about 80% of the piston but if your carbs are rich, it could be "washing" quite a bit of oil away. My sled used about 1 quart for each tank. About 1:50.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode