help me understand - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-11-1999, 06:59 PM
deepnsteeP

help me understand

Can anybody tell me why Polaris, Ski-Doo and Yamaha still use the old Indy style front suspension and what makes it any better than Arctic Cat's? I can't understand what that big bar that goes back towards the floorboards does. It seems that the simpler suspension of the Arctic Cat would be better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-1999, 10:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: help me understand

arctic cat's front suspension is better as well as the rear suspension, too bad they can't make the rest of the machine to suit

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-1999, 01:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that better is a relative term. I actually like my Polaris suspension. I added FOX shocks this year and now it's as smooth as Yamaha on the bumps.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-12-1999, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I chose not to purchase a Artic Cat based on a few reasons. One of them was the front suspension. I pushed down on the front end
of a new T-Cat and watched the ski's. They tipped outward. They did not stay flat. Looked strange. One other aspect was that the front
of the ski would actually bend (flex) up about 3 inches when grabbing the ski. ie.. checking carbides;runner. This was obvious that the ski
would take alot of impact away from the front suspension. I did not like this feature. Flexable ski's to absorb impact. Would aftermarket
ski's make the suspension more vulnerable? Don't know. Just a thought......
The Polaris ski's flex was minimal. Push the front end down and ski's stay flat. The swing arm's seem to work well. Even Yamaha
went to this style awhile back. SkiDoo uses it as well. The pivot point being somewhere in the middle of the machine,(tunnel area),
distributes the impacts throughout the tunnel. Can't say much about Polaris tipping in the swing arm's for 2000. No snow yet. Both
setup's are probably good. I chose the swing arm style based on what I observed at the dealer as well as what's available in the
aftermarket world.

DAT

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-12-1999, 09:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Flexible skis are GOOD! That's why alot of folks spend for Simmons Flexi Skis. I'd like to hear from AC guys on how much damage
the bulkhead takes when you bend the suspension. That's the good thing about a Polaris- the trailing arm fails first, often without
damage to the rest of the suspension. A couple hundred bucks and about an hour and you're on the trail again.(I just straighten mine
on a good flat concrete floor :-) )

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-1999, 01:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

..................I've bent(the he11 out of) a footwell too.......$176 cdn and two hours(17? rivets) more.......at least it's
better than bendin' tunnels like a couple of Putty buds.

<font color=green>Toyl'r.</font color=green>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-1999, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That big bar, called a trailing arm, is what locates the front suspension fore and aft. In other words, it keeps everything from moving backwards and forwards.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-13-1999, 06:10 PM
deepnsteeP

Besides the trailing arm, isn't the suspension essentially the same as Arctic Cat?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-13-1999, 10:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not really..The Polaris style IFS (most) only use two radius arms to locate the steering knuckle. The AC uses a lower control A-arm
and a upper control A-arm that are truly A shaped. The wider base anchors to the bulk head, while the narrow end attaches to the
steering/ski knuckle. The "A" arm controls both the fore and aft relationship of the ski as well as the vertical position of the ski. On a
Polaris the radius arms control the vertical travel, the trailing arm controls the fore and aft movement (which there should be none)it
basically resists the suspension from pushing back where it doesn't belong, which is why they fail first. On an AC the "A" arms are
also fairly cheap, however, bulkhead damage can occur under large impacts. AC's damage bulkheads easier than Polaris's in my
opinion. On the flip side the AC's seem to be able to take medium impacts better without damage. I see alot of broken shocks in
AWS V AC front ends, where I rarely see it happen on Polaris's (does anyone know how to spell the plural form of Polaris ?) I don't
know why shock damage is more prevelant on the AC's....

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-13-1999, 11:31 PM
deepnsteeP

Is the trailing arm allowed to move outward any, allowing for the arc that the steering knuckle will travel along? I know it the arc will be minimal, but if it doesn't, couldn't it cause some binding?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode