Speed Poll - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 03:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speed Poll

What's the fastest you've gone on a sled? Please indicate details (radar, speedo, make, model, number of passengers, riding surface etc.)

My girlfriend (150lbs) and I (200lbs) were riding double on my '95 Indy Storm 800 racing some other sleds ( 95 xcr 600, 96 xcr 600 and 97 formula III) up a freshly plowed road. The road presents a straight away, going up a steep hill. The hill is between 1/2-3/4 miles long with wide open meadows on either side for perfect visibility all the way up to the top. Needles to say (even with two passengers) we won the race. I was still gaining speed as we approached the crest of the hill and had to let off the throttle. I was too busy watching the road, but my girfriend said I peaked out just above 100mph and I was still climbing! I still wonder to this day how fast my sled will go and how much faster I would have gone with one passenger. Whenever I race though I never think to look at the speedo. To my knowledge this is the fastest I have gone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Speed Poll

It is obvious that you are getting bored with the lack of snow. Everytime I have been in a similar situation I have been too busy watching the trail to notice.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 04:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, the lack of snow is killing me! If anyone has any snow, please send it my way!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 05:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You'll find a great difference in speedo mph and actual mph as clocked by radar. My XLT will routinely bury the speedo past 100 mph
to an estimated 120 mph on the dial. However, radar only indicates a top speed of 95 mph, a 30 mph difference !!! In the early '90's I
road a pre-season test Mach I x with a 120 mph speedo that I took the needle all the way to the stop on (130 mph'ish) however, radar
only clocked 107 mph. So when your buddies tell you their sled will do 120 mph, take it with a grain of salt and ask for a radar timing
slip.

If you can't buy what you want, BUILD IT!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think that I have ever gone over 65 MPH on my '99 RMK 700. Do they actually go faster than that?

By the way, Why do you guys ride on trails anyway?

Mark
PowderBound
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The fastest I have ever riden my Clutched out 1992 Polaris indy 650 rxl was around 70mph. But that is because I have only been able to take it out once since I have bought it. The guy I bought it from took it up north and had it clocked with a radar on a lake at 94.5mph. And he said the conditions were crapy because the ice was real slick. So he figures it can do about 100 to 105 on good conditions. But then again why would I want to go over 100 mph on a sled? I also agree on the trail comment. I would much rather ride on lakes and on open fields that have not been plowed. But if I was in a group with a bunch of people I would probably want to be on a trail because they are more scenic.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-1999, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

95 MPH on speedo 1990 500 SKS It was very cold hard pack trail with a full moon
87 MPH on speedo 1998 700 RMK A couple of nights ago on the Mountain
Thats if Im lucky and can get a good look at the speedo Usually watching the trai
How about 120MPH on my 98 RMK with the back end lifted up
Justinl

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-11-1999, 01:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOW ABOUT 110MPH ON 5 MILES OF FROZEN LAKE WITH MY 93 PICKED RXL WHAT A RUSH IT DIDN'T EVEN SEEM FAST IT WAS LIKE DRIVING ON GLASS WE THOUGHT WE WERE REALY MOVING TUCKED DOWN BEHIND THE WINDSHIEL TILL A 2 UP T CAT SHOWED UP WITH TWO SENIORS ON BOARD BLEW BY AS IF WE WERE STANDING STILL YOU GOTTA HATE THAT

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-1999, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

on my 99' formula 3 700 using a gps that will save maximum speed on a pond that was .52 miles long (small) from a dead stop to stop before I ran out of pond the gps recorded a max speed of 102 mph.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-1999, 09:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1992 RXL
4 AM January 1993
Almost full moon
Dead calm
-12 to -15 C
9 to 12 cm fresh fallen snow
Highway #16 (Yellowhead Trail) - West of Edmonton- Divided highway-west-bound side
Right lane recently cleared.....Passing lane-virginal
Toyota Celica All-Trac Turbo paced me at 137 MPH
1/3 tank of gas,only me at 190# w/ helmet and leathers

...............................Wife, kid.............hardly even hit 100 MPH anymore!

<font color=green>Toyl'r.</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode