head gasket - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-1999, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

head gasket

i have a 1980 txl, with an overbore kit
problem is i keep blowing the head gasket. dealers tell me im setting it wrong when i put it on. its a monoblock engine, with a 1 piece headgasket. people say im suppose to warm up right up to operating temperature about 4 times and retorque the headbolts after everytime. what am i doing wrong? and at $100 per headgasket its getting kinda expensive trying to figure it out.
any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-07-1999, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: head gasket

are you torqueing them in a criss-cross pattern? are you only going a quarter turn each nut? are you checking it after every ride?

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-07-1999, 07:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i did the criss cross pattern yes, but im only suppose to go a 1/4 turn each time? and all ive been doing is driving it to the end of the street and back then tightening them again. should i let it warm up longer? the motor is warm to the touch, but not hot really.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-07-1999, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yep just a quarter turn, or you will warp the head (yikes!). my old citation had this problem, and i not knowingly, did this. after every ride i would have to tighten the head down again, but now it stays tight.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-1999, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Did you tighten the bolts down in steps and according to the proper pattern? Do you have a good reliable torque wrench? Did you have your head cut to match the overbore? What is the squish and compression now? Have you ruled out other problems like deto, twisted crank and such? Tried a different gasket? Kinda basic I know but we need the to have the basics covered to figure it out. Likely you have a warped head or cylinder surface. Have you had them checked out by a competent machinist? And I don't mean just throwing a straight edge on it and checking the surface in the middle. I worked on a sled last year that had low spots in it that did not seal. I had to send it back with the owner twice to get the machine shop to finally find it and surface it.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-1999, 05:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ive figured it out, the problem was one of the head bolts that go into the cylinders was loose to begin with and got stripped so it was never sealing properly. im gonna take it to a shop and get a heli coil put in it. they said that i would have to take it to them to do it, because i guess you need a certain tool to put heli coils in.
i hope this was the problem,
thanks for all the help though everyone.
think snow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode