Polaris encapsolated roller secondary spring recommendations - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 09:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polaris encapsolated roller secondary spring recommendations

I have a '99 Polaris 700 RMK that has been mod'ed to the hilt. It has Jet-Hot coated SLP pipes, Union Bay 9000' Head,
cylinder porting & polished, case ported, torque plate, torque arm, V-Force reeds, SLP boost bottle, 41mm carbs, and
and SLP airbox. Last year I ran a Hymark roller secondary (47.5 deg helix/yellow spring). This setup works awesome
but it turned out that this roller can't handle the abuse of grabbing the brake while flying through the air to level out the
sled during cornice jumping. It is also very easily damaged while changing belts. The roller should never be allowed to
'slap' shut or it will damage the bearings. Rapidly stopping the jackshaft while flying through the air (grabbing a handful
of brake) will damage the bearings also due the bearings leaving contact with the helix and slapping shut when one
sheave catches up with the other. This is very costly and Hymark will NOT stand behind their product. To solve this, I
purchased an encapsolated roller from Hi-Tech. ERs work in a different manner than traditional pre-loaded secondarys.
I am running a straight 48 deg helix for hillclimbing and have been playing with different spring rates. The manufacturer
has very little experience with steep angles and hillclimbers. Does anyone have experience with encapsolated rollers?
Any suggestions on spring rates? I need a spring capable of good belt pressure under high hp, soft enough for rapid
backshifting, and stiff enough to completely shift out at 100 mph and maintain RPMs. I have spring charts from
several manufacturers and so far I've tried the Pol-silver/blue, Pol-blue, Hymark-yellow. I just ordered SLP's new
purple/yellow to give it a try. What are the asphalt guys running in their ERs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Polaris encapsolated roller secondary spring recommendations

I tried the E.R. kit for my Polaris 700 last year. I ended up running the Polaris Silver/Blue spring in the second hole. Most of my tuning was done on the front clutch and with gear changes. My experience is that you need to gear your sled way low ( like 18:42 ) go with light rate springs like the Polaris Pink and you will need to run very light weights to achieve the rpms you need.

You will probably find that your rollers will not hold up for a full season, they seem to have a design problem that they are trying to figure out.

One of the original designers of the E.R. system has left Hi-Tech and is developing a new secondary for the Polaris, he hopes to have the new design out shortly, and he feels it will fix all the short-comings if the current E.R. secondary. From what I can tell, the new secondary will combine some of the features of the Arctic secondary in to a new billet clutch half. Don't know much more yet but stay tuned.

RMK800
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's an easy solution for you:

Buy a Cat Roller Secondary!!!! Run a Cat yellow driven spring and probably start with a 53 helix. Cat helixs are very cheap too.....

Corey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have seriously considered running a Cat secondary and, in fact, have a friend that has one on his 700 RMK. I believe he
is running a 50/44 helix w/yellow spring and it works quite well, however, I believe a good encapsulated system can work
even better without having to buy a whole new clutch. Besides, I have ties with the Polaris dealer and I would really like
to see a system work well in a Polaris clutch. If this ER thing doesn't work out, a Cat clutch will be my next step.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode