Snowmobile oil - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-03-1999, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Snowmobile oil

I am of the understanding (maybe just because I don't know any better) that once you choose a brand of snowmobile oil, you should not change because of possible adverse chemical reactions. Some brands of oils even indicate this on the warning label. Is this just a trick to keep you coming back to buy their oil? The reason I ask is because the brand I use (klotz) is becoming increasing harder to find in my area, and I have noticed that it is more expensive than Polaris Oil, Yamalube, Artic Cat oil and even greater a difference between my brand larger National Brand 2 Cycle oils (oils offered by pennzoil, quaker state, castrol etc.)

I would prefer switching to Polaris oil because it is readily available and I would be able to pool costs with my uncles. We have 5 sleds between us and mine is the only one that uses a different kind of oil. Is it possible to change? How should I go about it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-03-1999, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Snowmobile oil

From what I have read and heard from various dealers and mechanics--they claim it doesn't matter what you run as long as you don't mix the oils together. Drain the current oil in the sled and then refill it with the polaris and continue to run it and you should be fine.

NATE
REDEYE RACING
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-04-1999, 12:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Snowmobile oil

I responded earlier about this question and didn't explain myself to the fulliest. You can change to any brand of oil you want as long as you drain as much oil out of the system as you can and then add the brand you want.
The dealers will tell you not to mix yamalube and polaris(artic cat) if you haven't drained the oil . For some reason (chemical) they don't mix together at low tempertures (they'll gel up). If you run yamalube stick with only that brand unless you drain your system. If you run polars oil though and are needing oil on the trail you can mix artic cat oil togther with out any problems.

kurt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode