XLT Midrange Loading up - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-25-1999, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

XLT Midrange Loading up

Hi there, I'm hoping someone out there maybe able to help me out. I have a '97 XLTRMK that was SLP piped, SLP heads and SLP ported right off the showroom floor. It's clutched correctly but I'm having problems with it "loading up" in the midrange. At idle it runs fine (will idle all day) and WOT it runs great. However from about 1/8 throttle to just above 3/4 throttle it runs very rich and loads up. I have to continually keep burping the throttle wide open to keep cleaning it up. It's a real pain on trails and is very hard on fuel. SLP told me that they didn't recommend porting these sleds with ACCS (too late - done deal) Does anyone know if I can find a mikuni needle that would lean out the mid range some? any other suggestions to get it to run right in the midrange?

Thanks - "Digger"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-1999, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: XLT Midrange Loading up

Try the UFOs ,I had the same problem when I piped the ultra,they take a little bit of time to set up, but they did clean up the midrange.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-26-1999, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Digger,
What are your carb specs now? Especially the needle jet and jet needle. Also what position is the
needle clip in? Based on your comments it sounds like the needle clip needs to be raised at least one
position and probably two considering that it's loading up. At the recommendation of my dealer, I installed the
SLP needles and dropped the needle jet one size (96 Ultra RMK with SLP Pipes and Heads). If you do the
same thing, keep a very close eye on your plug color and start with the needle clip in fourth position from
the top. This will probably be rich and you can start raising the clip one notch at a time and watch the plug
color.

I definitely think you should first work with your current needle and needle jets. If at some point you have the
clip in the top position (leanest setting) and it's still too rich, then look at getting different needles and/or
needle jets. SLP may have some recommendations as to what sizes to use.

Regards,
Dan.

SLP actually makes a needle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-26-1999, 02:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you still running the ACCS? Jack at Carl's told me that the ACCS would not respond well to elevation changes on my 700. I believe he said it would be too rich at lower elevation and too rich at higher elevation. Would guess the same would apply to your situation.

Corey

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-1999, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The carbs are stock as far as pilots, needles and needle jets. The needles are all the way down and as lean as it gets. I think the mains are 220's. I was told by SLP that they don't have a set-up for this combination, they didn't say anything about having their own needles. I was also told by someone else that I maybe able to make it better by dropping down 1 size on the needle jet and then possibly going up 1 size on the mains to get the mixture close to what it was at WOT before. I was really hoping someone knew whether or not there are different needle profiles for mikunis as this, I feel, would be the simplist and cheapest fix. Maybe a change in slide profiles to supply more air in the middle?

Thanks for all the suggestions - keep them coming it's appreciated, I'd sure like to get this thing running crisp through the whole RPM scale

Thanks - "Digger"

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-1999, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buy your self the mikuni tuning book ,but first tear apart your carbs and determine what you have jets and needles ,if you want it to run at the max, tune it your self and buy exhaust temp probes,or just take it back to the dealer that did the mods

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-30-1999, 01:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I get the mikuni book? Is this the one Aaen sells? I would really like to get the probes but it's the $$$! I know it's still cheap insurance compared to blowing it up but with the CDN dollar the way it is everything is 1.5X's the listed price, especially to get it shipped this far north

Thanks - "Digger"

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-30-1999, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is the book i am refering to,I know the price for probes are high but you run once with probes you will be wonder what you were thinking,probes about 75 cdn each and think the three in one gage is 150 cdn,seperat gages are 75cdn,not only a tuning tool but can also pick up bad plugs and which carb is freezing,also you can set 1\4,1\2,3\4 throotle so there is even temps for all cylinders, the mains on my ultra are staggered by to 300 330 320

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-30-1999, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

forgot to mention check out www.cycleworks.com not a big fan of them but they from edmonton and they do ship, good luck

post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-30-1999, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Digger,
I've got SLP needles in my Ultra plus I went down one size on the jet needle. All this was at the recommendation of my dealer.
I ran it this way all season and adjusted only the mains. It runs very well. I put EGT's on at end of season last year - found'em
on the WEB for half-price so shop around the bulletin boards as deals are out there.My goal now is to install UFO's. I wasn't
willing to do it without the EGT's.

Anyway, I think your idea of dropping the needle jet's one size is the place to start as these are available from any dealer
and most mail order houses.

I'll check my catalogs to see if I can find part numbers for jet needles in any of the catalogs. It may be that SLP has discontinued
their jet needles.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode