painting shrouds? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-13-1999, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

painting shrouds?

im getting ready to paint my shroud on my blizzard and I need some pointers. anyone have experiance painting shrouds?

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-1999, 07:19 PM
Pete

Re: painting shrouds?

Hi Kieth,
You Canooks have different words for things than I'm used to. Are you talking about the hood? If so, about the only thing I'm sure of is it's almost impossible to fix spiderwebs and other small surface cracks so they're invisible. I think you have to sand completely thru the gelcoat to get to the bottom of the crack, which isn't practical. Just don't paint it a color that will show cracks, it'll look good.
Pete

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-1999, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

shroud, cowl, hood, its all the same [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] it's in great shape for its age, but does have a few spider web cracks in it. i am going to paint it black, with a bit of red.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-14-1999, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I painted a hood once on an old TNT that was made of fiberglass. It had a bunch of spidercracks in it as well. I sanded it down just to get the old surface roughed up so it wasn't shiny then washed it with varsol to get all the dust out of the cracks. Then I used primer putty which I picked up at the local autobody store and applied it very thinly to all the areas that had the spidercracks. After it dried I sanded the hood again and primed it then painted it with enamel paint. It turned out really good. I sold it three years later and it still didn't have any cracks in it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-16-1999, 09:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a custome paint job done every year. Just take it to an autobody shop. They will do a fantastic job for around $350. I have done lots of custom jobs with stripes, designes and lettering.

Mark
PowderBound
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-16-1999, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i didn't even pay that for the sled, so im not gonna spend that much money on the shroud. its just a beater sled. the previous owner has the most awful custom paint on it. it would be a huge embarrassment to be seen on.

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode