Clutch maintance - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clutch maintance

I was talking to a guy the other day and he told me that he takes his clutch's apart2 times a year to
clean and maintain them. Fall and spring. I have never taken a clutch apart, and I am wondering
is this necessary, and if so which clutch? The primary or the secondary.If so can some one briefly
explain which one, and what is needed to keep them working . We have 2, 94 580xlt's.
Thanks, Blake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Clutch maintance

Hey Blake,
It is very important to keep a clean clutch, the belt dust is what eats the bushings and wears out the weights and pins.
If you have access to compressed air use it. I blow out the primary after ever ride or 100mi and have not had a problem
in 5000mi.I also disassemble and give it a good cleaning once a year,I like to tinker. .Try to change the secondary ramp
buttons and clean the helix every 1500mi helps a lot. Its not a difficult job, you need snap ring plyers and patience. Vince

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Vince hit the nail on the head. A clean clutch is your best guarentee for performance. I blow out my primary every other if not every trip. I as well clean my driven about every three trips. Not only does it keep it clean, it makes parts not wear out as fast, and keeps your performance up.

Ahatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 03:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I clean them both at about 100 - 150 miles. It all depends on how they look and how the clutch is performing. I have found it to make a big difference in responsiveness. If you let the weights get dirty they will not move as fast when you hit the gas. More friction on the weight pin means more force is needed to move the weight. It is important for all three weights to weigh the same. With a sticky weight you would see a performance degredation. Your helix also needs cleaning as it has to slide through a very tight spot as well.
Be carefull what you use for cleaning as well. Most cleaning solvents will actually attract more dust to the parts.

After you learn a few tricks about clutching, it will only take you 30 - 45 minutes to do a thorough cleaning job on both clutches.

Mark
PowderBound
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 11:14 PM
Pete

OK, what do you clean them with? I'll admit, I only get about 3K between roller replacements on my primary, so maybe I don't know what I'm doing? I'd love to know how to keep those expensive Polaris clutch parts alive as long as possible, so fill me in. Thanks.
Pete

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 06:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Air and paper towles. If they are really bad use dish soap on a wet paper towel.

Mark
PowderBound
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 08:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get a pail of very hot water and dish soap, let them soak for a bit, then scrub them if they are very dirty, and blow them out.

Ahatch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode