Tell me its not true, RMK's new Track Kit a soft compound - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tell me its not true, RMK\'s new Track Kit a soft compound

Yea tell me its not true, a buddy of mine that sleds with a friend in Colorado and Wyoming, just brought his sleds to Tri-City Polaris to have them serviced for the upcoming season. While there, was told that the new 144" track kits had the soft compound tracks. I hope its not true, at least not in the far west like Washington, Oregon and California. We do not have the ultra powder snow like in the Rockies, our snow is very wet and sticky and after its been there a while it turns to Sierra Cement. If the new track kits have the softer compound, it will fold over in the wetter snow and render the climbing ability mute. I know they do not want the stiffer tracks in the Rockies, but on the West Coast we need the stiffer tracks. Any info would be greately appreciated. Think snow and winter rules. The Spudman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 07:10 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tell me its not true, RMK\'s new Track Kit a soft compound

I believe that it is a soft compound too. Come ride with us in the Rockies!

Mark
PowderBound
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Take a trip to the Wallowa Mountains in NE Oregon if you want powder. I've heard that the 144" track will be of a soft compound too. We need the soft track for our "neck of the woods".
Fred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 10:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

spudman, the track is not rendered useless on heavy, wet snow. I have put on several hundred miles on one and another bud has about 500 miles on one from last Spring. It does bend over a little but it certainly works better than the 141 Camo. My experience in the wet and heavy this summer was not an inability to climb but being able to saw out a sidehill while keeping the sled speed down. Anyhow, I believe the track will work good in the conditions you describe. Snow rulz.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 12:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rick,
I DO live in the Rockies, and my question is, how does the 144 compare to the 141 in deep powder?
It is my understanding that the 144 came out late enough in the year, that it has not been tested in deep powder. (From a very reputable sourse.)
I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,
X700

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-1999, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My source tells me that an earlier version was tested pretty good last winter. It is my understanding that the 144" was designed to run on the trail like the 136" x 1 3/4" and the powder like the camoplast 141". I just put the 144" on my sled and the tread design is deffinitely a change from the past. It is lighter that the 136" as well. We weighed both of the 136" tracks, the 141" and the 144". The 144" was the lightest. However, they were all within 4 pounds of each other.

I am anxious to see how it runs against the other three tracks in question.

Let it snow!

Mark
PowderBound
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-12-1999, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All the new tracks, yamaha (yokohama), ski doo's 151, and the pol 143 seem a lot softer than tracks of past. One added bonus is the tracks are lighter and more flexable taking less horsepower to spin. Changed a 98 vintage 2" 'doo 136 out to a new 141 yokohama and saw 3-4 more ponys at the track on a 670x. Hopefully what we lose in paddle stiffness we'll gain in track speed and power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode