rich oil mixture? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

rich oil mixture?

Last season my sled would go through about a tank of oil as fast as a tank of gas. When the sled ('94 VMax) was running it even smelled like a strong oil mixture. I was wondering if anyone knew how I could check this or what can be done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-1999, 09:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: rich oil mixture?

If the sled ran the whole season not even blowing a set of plugs, or quitting due to to much oil leave it alone, trust me I know from experience, If there is a problem let the dealer adjust it and then they take the heat if it blows.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I had a '94 V-max 4 that I purchased new and the oil injector was set way RICH! I think they do that deliberately. I brought mine back as soon as I noticed the oil guzzlin' and had them adjust it under warranty. I agree with the Mxz670ho guy but at the same time it would be nice to be operating at the proper fuel/oil mixture. Excessive carbon will build up... not good--especially on variable exhaust systems. I would either drop it off at a shop and have them adjust it for you or do it yourself. It's not too difficult. Look closely at your oil pump--you will notice a line or mark on the pump. All you have to do is align that line with the pump arm. I think it's @WOT. It will be obvious when you look at the injector pump... the only tools you will need is two wrenches.

GL!
Adam

MXZ 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 08:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If I were you and I wasn't blowing spark plugs I would leave it alone or i would take it to a dealer and have them look at it. I do not recremend you do anything to it unless you are a mechanic. Because you can probably really screw things up big time. SO I would just leave it along or have a professional look at. Depending If you if you don't mind putting lots of oil in it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-09-1999, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does this mean it will be fine to run with a rich mixture for the whole season? I'm no good mechanic, but I"m not interested in spending big bucks on this sled either.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-1999, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are concerned about it and don't want to do it yourself, bring it in and have a $75/hr mechanic adjust it... it only takes 10 minutes ($20 minimum charge).

Adam

MXZ 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode