Aftermarket Plastic Skis?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 11:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aftermarket Plastic Skis??

Can anyone tell me what would be a good aftermarket plastic ski?? I have a 97 MXZ and wana replace the steel ones on it.
Thanx in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 12:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Aftermarket Plastic Skis??

I have seen it done several ways--the most effective would be to buy some SLP's OR buy the new ski-doo plastics and bolt them on--in either case, run a GOOD set of 6" carbides (60 - 90 bucks). If you are doing it just for better cornering, you can get by--by replacing the carbides with some 6 or 8 inchers... it will corner much better!

Hope that helps

Adam

MXZ 600
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What is your email address, I have some question on the 9 7 MXZ 670. Please check out my post under Derekgaddy and reply if you can. Thank you !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 04:56 PM
Pete

I have no experience with plastic skis, but I just ordered a pair of USI skis. The reasons I chose them are that they have been around a while, allowing plenty of time for complaints, of which I've heard none, and the smooth profile. You figure, probably half the weight of the steel stockers is all the ice that builds up in the webbing. The USI's can't hold ice the way the stockers can. I am not endorsing USI skis. Not yet. I will have to spend a winter on them to tell if they are worth the money spent.
Anybody out there with actual knowledge of plastic skis care to comment?
Pete

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put SLP skiis on my 95 XLT. So have a few of my friends. They work great.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Post deleted by P0LAR1SMAN

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-1999, 04:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

polar1sman, did you attend the weekend races in freemont n.h last month ? If so, were you the one that jumped of the pontoon boat ? If not it's still a sight to be seen. I will have pics posted on my site of the jumps. I do have pics of the watercrossing. Please be nice, it's my first attemp at a web site.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-24-1999, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just purchased a set of SLP Ultra Lites for my 1988 Indy trail. I can't afford plunkering down $5000-7000 on a new sled so I figured it was about time to start doing some basic changes to my sled. Heck my skis even have the polaris emblem on them. SLP skis are available right from the Polaris dealers now. I've never heard a problem from these skis. They were ever ranked very well in an article here on Snowmobile Online. They are supposed to be a very good all around ski. Now my problem is figuring out what carbide to put under them. I have 96 studs under my sled and they suggest 4-6 inches of carbide. Due to my light weight and the light weight of the sled, I'll probably go 4-5, especially with the rocker of the skis.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-25-1999, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The best ski I have ever ridden are the Simmons. I spend my time primarily in the mountains, off trail, but even on the trail they
handle like a dream. They float like no other. ...To me it only makes sense that pulling snow under the ski rather pushing it to
the sides would increase flotation..and it does!! Same concept with the tunnel boats. Rather than plowing through the water
they get up on top and run much greater speeds.
My buddies have all run the SLP's, and over the last 4 years they have all switched to the Simmons. For deep snow riding
they can't be beat.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-03-1999, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a '93 XLT Special... would SLP Composite "Utlra-Lite" skis be good for my sled?? I do a lot of trail riding, and pretty much everything else Minnesota has to offer. Dennis Kirk has them for 139.99. Is that a good price??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode