Polaris Crankshaft Problems? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-30-1999, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Polaris Crankshaft Problems?

Does anybody have experience with any crank breakage problems on older 94-96 yr sleds. A friend is considering buying a used 96
polaris 600 but has heard about crank problems in some of polaris's early sleds and is skeptical now to buy even though the sled is priced
good. All input is appreciated, thanks. Ive been told that the cranks are not one pc, is this true?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-1999, 07:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Polaris Crankshaft Problems?

the cranks do come apart, the biggest problem was the pto bearing failing.the crank was not a strong point of these motors.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-30-1999, 09:12 PM
Pete

Almost all 2 stroke and some 4 stroke engines use multiple piece cranks. Anything that uses press on roller bearings has to have some way to install and replace them. As for Polaris 600 triples specifically, I have a stock 96 with 7000 miles, no problems. A friend has a 95 that he piped, he had a pto side bearing go at around 6000 miles. I read somewhere recently (maybe here on this board) that the 95's had smaller oil holes for the pto bearing that was corrected in 96. On the other hand, piping the sled for 9500 rpm probably shortened his bearings life. His problem is the only one I've heard of.
Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-31-1999, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

600 Monoblock engines have been known to blow out the pto bearings. These bearings are fairly small bearing (high ball speed) for the loads placed on it at 9000 rpm. I have the ear of a rotating equipment engineer who when we have discussed two stroke crank lube has convinced me that synthetic oil with the proper properties should do a lot to prevent crank bearing failures at elevated rpm levels. I have not had a failure on XLT with 3000 mountain miles and the engine has been piped since new. I really cannot think of a performance engine from any manufacturer that has been around for several years that I havent heard of a crank failure. If you are going to get 30% more power out of an engine it would stand to reason that you should maybe look at treating the bottom end with some respect. Just my 2 cents worth.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 05:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know two people that had the problem of which you speak. One was able to get Polaris to rebuild the motor the other not. In later years, Polaris ran an external oil line to better lubricate the bearing they were having problems with.
Neil

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a friend who had a crank break in a '96 XLT RMK but was fixed under warranty. My '97 XLT RMK had the pto bearing failure at 250 miles. Haven't had a problem since. When you consider how many Polaris triples there are out there, the failure rate probably isn't that high.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 12:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a 95 and a friend had a 96... mine didn't blow until 2200 miles, his blew after 500 miles. Polaris was extending the warranty on them 1 year, so if the guy had the engine replaced before, it should be decent--if not, I wouldn't buy it unless you can get a good deal on Polaris parts...

Adam

MXZ 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode