Ever wonder if your manufacturer would backup comments made by a local dealer? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 11:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ever wonder if your manufacturer would backup comments made by a local dealer?

I was wondering how Polaris would respond to comments made by three different dealers about track selection for my 1999 RMK 700.

I asked three different dealers a simple question, I thought! What do you think about putting the new Polaris 144" track on my '99 RMK 700? I got three different answers. And none of them were even close to the same. So I went to the Polaris site where I posted the same question and included the answers I had received earlier. I was shocked to get a reply back within fifteen minutes. But I was even more surprised to read that the 144" will not even fit on my sled. This comes after I have purchased the track and installed it late last night. Everything seemed to go back together fine - no parts left over - and it runs fine on the stand. The one thing in common between the three dealers was that it would fit fine on the sled. Now Polaris is telling me that The track was specifically designed for the 2000 model sleds. What a crock of $&!#!

It is one thing to take part in a community chat and speculate on new technology and after market go-fast parts. And then it is entirely someting else to have the manufacturer tell you something that doesn't even make sense.

The net result was that I asked a question that should be able to be answered by my dealer. I got a bogus answer and tried two more dealers with two totaly different answers. The customer service rep at Polaris would neither deny or substantiate any of the dealers claims to knowledge of the new track. But instead gave a totaly false answer.

Now who do I believe? Since nobody has really been on the 144" track yet, I will just have to find out for myself.

I sure do wish that the mfg's would educate their dealers a bit more on new technology. I would have been doing good to have two of the four give me close to the same answer.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ever wonder if your manufacturer would backup comments made by a local dealer?

And people wonder why i bought a new Summit. After all the Bull $h!t I went through with Polaris (dealers and factory), I'm not sure I would own another. Infact I have three Pols' for sale right now. If I could get my wife off her 500 it would be four. The bad thing is, she told me yesterday she wants a new 500rmk. The madness never stops!

Ahatch
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ever wonder if your manufacturer would backup comments made by a local dealer?

Actually, I would expect this from all manufacturers since we are dealing with a customer service department represenative that probably knows nothing about a sled other than what he sees on a computer.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Mark, I have to believe that what the customer service guy at Polaris is telling you is a reply that is given to him because the 144" track kit is marketed to fit only the 2000 machine. The kit comes complete with the extentions for the new cooling system that crosses over at the rear of the machine after running through the tunnel rolls. Also the suspension has changed from the Xtra 10 136 to the Xtra Lite 136. So I'm sure its not just a bolt in kit. I don't see why the 144" track would not work otherwise. If you have it installed and it seems to be working then thats great but don't get down on the customer service guys at Polaris because they have always done me right whenever I have had any questions.

Livin 4 the RED TEAM----POLARIS Ride The Best.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 08:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got another response yesterday say that the reason the track would not work is that the new suspension was lighter. I would need to purchase a suspension upgrade to make it work.

We checked the part numbers for the track for 97-00 and found that it is the same part number. The kit that is available is for the 2000 model only. But the track will work fine if you add rail and tunell extensions.

At this point I am just having fun with the situation. I wonder how many different answers I can get?

Mark
PowderBound
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Awwww...just sell the sled off and buy yourself a new 800 RMK with the 144" track! Thats what I did. =-]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was less expensive to add a new pipe, port the cylendars, add new clutch weights, add delta v-forve reeds, new head and install the track. I have more HP as well. I still have about $1000 to go befor I am at the cost of trading in the '99 700 for the new '00 800! If I add the Holz suspension kit I will still have enough money left over to pay for gas and oli for the year.

Have fun on that new 800. I plan to ride the 700 for another year or two.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode