Foul Problem MXZ583 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 03:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Foul Problem MXZ583

I have a 1997 MXZ 583. Last season I was fouling plugs almost every ride!!! expensive problem...anyway, ive tried dropping the needles, leaning it out and checking the jetting. Nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?? What can I check? HELP!! Thank you in advance.

Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-30-1999, 09:46 PM
Pete

Re: Foul Problem MXZ583

Most of my friends run Polaris, but a problem I've seen may apply to Ski Doo's. Anything that degrades the spark will foul the plugs faster. For example, a leaky key, kill, or tether switch can degrade the spark. Try unplugging each in turn and see if the problem goes away(assuming it will run with switches unplugged; Polari do). Also check your spark plug caps. I fouled plugs in my atv all one summer before I discovered bad caps. And tighten the nut down on the top of each plug with pliers before you put them in. I noticed that plugs foul quicker when the nut on top is loose and blackened from arcing. Thats all I can think of.
Pete

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 12:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It could be inexperience with the primer... do you have trouble starting it? The primers can be a pain in the butt, but if you take your time to learn HOW to use it, it can start easier than choke models.

I ussually open the hood and watch for the primer line to fill with petro... once it's full, give it only 2-3 squirts. Sometimes it will take 10 squirts to fill the line, other times it's already full. Just watch it and develop a feel for your primer. It will push slightly harder when it's full of gas...

If you are already familar with the primer please disregaurd!

Hope that helps...
Adam

MXZ 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 07:09 PM
nashoba66

go easy with the primer and let it warm up for 5 min. or so, i always do and it seems to help, i haven't had trouble with fouling with my 583. I have only had trouble one time when it was very warm out.
hope it helps,
Mark

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are they fouling: wet with fuel, white with heat, gummed with oil, electrode shorted with lead, carboned with soot, carbon-arced at the cap boot end, perfectly good looking, both sides, always one side, after parking downhill,after the odometer rolled over once................tell us more.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-1999, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The plugs are always black and wet, Im not sure if its just fuel or if its oil, or if its both. It happens on both sides. The sled only has 2400 miles. And it happens at any time while riding, going through a trail or even zipping accross a field!! It makes for hard starting. Thank you for your help
MXZ583

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode