Tracks for the steep and deep? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-27-1999, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tracks for the steep and deep?

Does anyone have any real life experience on the new Polaris 144" X 2" track? I would like to know the best situations for using the following tracks:
Polaris 136" X 1 3/4"
Polaris 136" X 2"
Polaris 144" X 2"
Camoplast 141" X 2"
This information will help me to determine which one to use on my '99 RMK 700.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-1999, 11:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tracks for the steep and deep?

Mark. I only have experience with the 136 polaris tracks. the 2" track is not worth a damn. it is heavy, slow, and it trenches. the 1.75"
track is much better. i ran it on my 700 and it seemed to do better than my buddy's 2". as far as the 144 and 141 i can't make many
comments. my friend ran a 141 on his 700 last year and when it came to highmarking we were neck and neck,ONLY because i ran a
single pipe. the 141 definately was mush better. don't know much about the 144 other than i have one ordered for my 800!!! anthony.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 12:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mark. are you the one with the 4 place trailer for sale? If you are, I'm interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What were the riding conditions like that you are comparing the tracks to? Light & fluffy or more heavey snow?

Mark
PowderBound
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mark,
Xtreme Polaris in the Denver area did a comparison test of the 136" tracks and the Camoplast. They had three identical 700's with four feet of fresh snow on Rabbit Ears Pass (Steamboat area) and started in fresh snow, climbing until they were stuck. The Polaris 2" went 376 feet. The Polaris 1.75" went 658 feet. The Camoplast 2x141 went 983 feet. Unfortunately, nobody knows what the new 144 will do. The 2" was hyped up last year as being the best to have and now it seems like it may not be so, at least in powder. Personally I would wait and see what the jury has to say about the 144. The Camoplast has proven itself and I'm putting one on my sled right now.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mark. snow conditions were both in 2 feet of powder and in spring snow. both were in CA where the snow is usually heacvy and wet. do you have the trailer?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-28-1999, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Powerderbound.I had a 700 RMK with a Polaris 136 X 1 3/4. I then swicth it last year to a Camoplast 141 X 2. There was a very noticably differnce between the two in the early season deep stuff. after the snow Firms up the 141 still does better but it is much closer to a 1 3/4 X 136 than early on in the season.

In my opinion The 141 does very well in the deep powder, but it seems that after the snow firms up the paddles tend too bend back and you get less traction but still comprobale to the 1 3/4 X 136. Just my opinion though.

Brian D

[email protected]
[email protected]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 01:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Doesn't Polaris make two models of 136"x2" tracks? I thought I saw the part numbers listed in SnowTech last year. The difference between the two was supposed to be the rubber compound with one track having a softer compound than the other.

The 141"x2" Camoplast is supposed to be a soft compound track - I wonder which 2" Polaris track was tested.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 08:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes that is true Polaris does make a soft and a hard compound 2". I purchased the soft and replaced a blown up Bighorn on my XLT. In soft powder it definitely is not as good as the Bighorn or the Camo but in heavy spring snow seems to work ok. If I had it to do over again would probably go to the Camo.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-29-1999, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

When I pulled my 2" off last night I checked the part number and it is the soft compound track. I was also surprised to see that Camoplast is the manufacturer for both the 136"x1 3/4" & 136"x2" polaris tracks.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode