MXZ 700 a good sled?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-26-1999, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MXZ 700 a good sled??

Hello all,

Well, I'm very seriously thinking of buying a sled soon. My wife and I had planned on purchasing a '00 Camaro SS, which has bene ordered and will be in in a few months. Just hit local Kawasaki dealer and the sled bug hit me again, does every year, hahaha. I've been thinking about also leasing a full size Chevy Sierra (which would be great to pull the sleds, hahaha). Anyway, I'm thinking about ditching the SS idea and just leasing the Sierra in the next few months and buying myself a sled. I've never owned a sled, or any other recreational vehicle. But I have always been a true Kawaski fan, all started with the Ninja. I love the flashy color scheme of the MXZ and have heard great things about them. Is the 700 a good sled. I really know nothing about sleds and am learning a bit here and there. Is the cross-country sled the way to go for a good all around sled?? I assume for time being I will just use it for travling local trails and such (re: no major mt climbing runs or anything). Are they pretty dependable?? Is there a big difference between the 700 and 600?? I know last year I went and looked at the MXZ (when sled bug got me last winter, hahaha) and I forget what 2 models I was looking at. I know they recommened one over the other beause they were pretty close in performance, but one did a lot better as far as gas consumption and such. Would reall appreciate any help you all could give me. Also, anyone have any good links to get some more info on sledding in general?? Been on off-road.com's page, but any other good ones out there?? Any of you who own MXZ's have your own pages for them??

Thanks

Gregg Sleddless in Spokane

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-27-1999, 04:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: MXZ 700 a good sled??

Hi Greg, I have never owned a sled before either. I will be picking up my new sled in 2 day's. originally I thought that the MXZ sleds were for me till I really examined who I would probably ride with and where. Having reverse was a must for me so the extra price was also an issue. I chose the Formula deluxe 600. Most people will tell you that as a new rider a 500 or 600 will be plenty of power. As for the MXZ, it is supposedly very unforgiving on trails with bumps or mogul's where you have to go slow (average riders with you).Where the Deluxe or at least the Formula Z would have a smoother ride. If you know the people you will be riding with, and they are airborne all day you should get the MXZ to keep up. For myself I will start with the deluxe and upgrade the shock if I feel it is not performing well enough for me. I was assured by a few different people that I could still go nut's without hurting it, just not for 8hrs in a row like the MXZ. I hope this helps.

Dave

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-27-1999, 03:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The main difference between the 700 and 600 will be in the top-end-speed. If you are the kind of guy who wants to be the fastest accross the lake, get the 700--it's over 130 hp in 2000 with the closest 700 in it's class at 122 hp.

The 600, on the other hand, is less expensive--and that's about it--other than it's slower with only 105-110 hp. I own a 1999 mxz 600 and like everything about the sled other than the WOT performance. I snow checked my 600 before the 700 came out and I am regretting it now. Polaris' new 600 claims around 115 hp in 2000 (I hate being 1-upped). Keep in mind that all the MXZ's are lighter and get better mpg than any of the other competitor's compatible models.

Since you're new to the sport, you may want to take a closer look at the Formula-Z 700. The suspension is much more comfortable at slower trail speeds. If Top-end is not too important to you, I would also look at the new 500 and 600's.

GL
Adam

MXZ 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-27-1999, 08:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a brand new 700 is a bit of a handful if you've never owned a sled. how much experiance do you have on a sled? pretty much any new production sled will be very reliable. I'd suggest maybe a 500 or 600, and if you must have a 700, maybe think of a used sled, so once you get the hang of it, you can sell your used 700 without much of a loss and buy a new one. BTW the MXZ is an excellent sled, but with all that power, it can get you into trouble real fast.

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode