1988 phazer or AC cougar??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-1999, 02:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1988 phazer or AC cougar???

ok, i got a firend who is buying a sled. hes found a 1988 Yamaha Phazer 485 fan and a 1988 Arctic Cat Cougar 500 fan. not sure of miles, but there pretty average on both
PROS
phazer:
overall good shape
he loves phazers
needs something dependable that can work (lives on farm)
little cheaper than cat

cougar:
totally rebuilt year last summer
new track, shocks, bearings, idler wheels, chaincase, axels, brakes, rebuilt motor, carbs just cleaned, new front suspension components
only taken for 4 short rides since rebuild

CONS
phazer:
will need a track soon
not sure how previous owners took care of it
smaller engine

cougar:
more expensive
unsure of reliabliiy (don't know anything about these machines)
isn't running right now (the guy is putting carbs back together)

so which one do you think he should get? any opinion would be extremely appreciated

Keith
<font color=red>89/91 cr 125</font color=red>
<font color=blue>89 Yamaha SRV</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-1999, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1988 phazer or AC cougar???

I think that they both are kind of crapy. but if you want to buy one or the other I would go with the phazer. I have a good friend that has a 440 phazer in the low 1990's. And it runs perfect. And is very reliable. But then again they take pretty good care of it. I also had heard alot of good things about phazers and haven't heard any bad things about them. So I would definatly go with the phazer even if it needs a good track. But be willing to sink 2 to 3 hundred into a nice track. See ya later.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-1999, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

never heard of a 440 phazer. i thought they were all 485's maybe i was wrong. BTW, did you pay for your sled or your parents?

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-1999, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's been my experience that the phazer's are bulletproof. The years that these have been in production speak for themselves. You're talking about a sled that went through the 80's and 90's that basically didn't change. There is a reason the Cat has been rebuilt--it's a cat--thats what they do. The phazer on the other hand will run forever--that's why there are so many still around. If you are looking for a good sled that won't let you down the phazer is the way to go.
Nate
98 Summit X
98 RMK700

IF YOUR KNUCKLES ARE WHITE AND YOUR SCPHINCTOR IS TIGHT--IT MUST BE REDEYE RACING!!!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-1999, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you are talking to me I bought mine with my own money. Because I have been saving for 2 and a half years now.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-1999, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah Bean i was talking to you, i just thought it would be inapproapriate to bash any sled if yours was bought for you. but since you are like me, one of the few teens that work for what they own, you have the right to say anything about any sled. i just bought a 89 srv, i know its not the fastest, or best handling, but this is my first real sled that i will ride all winter, so i figured i'd want something reliable and light before i go out and my some ridiculously over-powered pig, like the mach 1 i almost bought. I wish i could have found a deal like your polaris though!!!

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode