just curious!

<font color=red>Keith
89/91 cr 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-1999, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what was everyone\'s first sled?

I am 15 and I just bought my first sled this year wich was a 1992 Polaris Indy 650 RXl. this sled is in mint condition. I am just waiting for the snow because I live in southern WI.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-1999, 09:38 PM
Pete

I bought a 71 Ski-Doo 440 TNT when I was 15. Then I bought it again when I was 17, and again when I was 20, making it my first, second, and fourth sled. I needed my head examined. What a pig that thing was. Steel tunnel, steel belly pan. Carb between your legs roaring and spitting gas on you, when it wasn't sucking your jacket in. Hole melted thru the gas tank by the muffler. My most memorable misadventure with it happened on my way home one evening. I had to ride the piles of snow from the plows to get across a parking lot. The way the piles were shaped forced me to ride to one corner where a fire hydrant was plowed to, get off, and drag the back end of the sled around to head the direction I had to go next. I would stop at the hydrant, slap my gloved hand on the primary clutch to slow the engine down and disengage the clutch, and get off to move the back. Well, this time, as I grabbed the rear handle I heard the engine speed back up(love those Tillotson carbs) and looked up in time to see the clutch grab the belt. I couldn't hold it, and it dragged itself of a 10 foot tall stone wall into the creek a few feet from the hydrant. After 15 minutes of fighting and slogging around in 2 feet of icewater I got the sled to where I could start it and get going. I made it about 6 feet before a rock got stuck in a track window and locked it(still sitting in 8 inches of water). That took another hour. I didn't ride again for a week after that ordeal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-1999, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmmmm first sled well that was a 1980 yamaha enticer 300 twin special
and did that sled ever surprise alot of people my one bud had a 1983
enticer and he could barely keep up i have to say it was a quick little
beast that had no suspension which made takin it off of jumps so much fun
still got it the motors ok but the frames all smashed up

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dang tuff one. Been so long I had to stop and really think on this one. If memory searves my right, I was 15 years old and my first sled was an old and I do mean old Johnson Challanger. Was so long ago I forget the year of the thing. The thing thats what me and my brothers called this paticular sled. Steel everything, very little suspention ( my butt can testify to that),one lunger with the carb right between my legs (can you say burning eyes0, rotted out muffler(exhaust than became a straight pipe through the belly pan).
Worst experience I ever had on the THING. I was about 15 miles from the house and riding the drifts in the ditches. Was running flat out( a whole 20-25 mph)when I hooked both skis under a metal farm gate, ripping both skis clear off and sending me superman style though the air. When I regained my compossure and got back to the sled it was still sitting the running only missing the skis. I had to ride It back to the house on on the belly pan. Wouldnt have been to bad except for having to cross aan unfrozen creek and a few hard roads.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

'69 Scorpion Stinger 400...

Adam

MXZ 600
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 02:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My first machine was a 73 Polaris Colt 250. After years of begging my dad for a sled I came home from school one day and there it was sitting in the back of the truck. It didnt have a speedo but I rode that machine every day after school till 75' when I bought a new 340 Colt SS. Thats 6 sleds ago. Every ones been a Polaris except for a 77 TNT 440 which was a piece of scrap.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine was a 1977 Kawasaki 440 Invader. What a hot machine for its time. Now its like a pile of sh**. Still have four of them if
anybody is interested.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]<font color=blue>Kasey Garrett
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 11:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1970 Wild One. It had a top speed of about 50 mph on a hard pack road. The engine was a 292 Hirth single. It probably weighed 250 pounds. It was made by Roll-O-Flex industries in Saskatchewan.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-1999, 11:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mine also was a '77 Kawasaki 440 Invader. I also have 3 other '77 Kawasaki 440 intruders that I used to ride and would now like to get rid of. Either that, or I'm going to tear into one of them and try to rebuild the engine. Now I ride a V-max 600 136" I love taking it straight up the tallest, steepest powder hill I can find!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode