2000 700 RMK - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2000 700 RMK

Just picked up my new sled "700 RMK" This is my first snowmobile. Can any one help me out on the best way to break-in my new
toy(Motor,Belt,Hifax,ect.?)
Thanks Action:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 07:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2000 700 RMK

First snowmobile, you picked one of the best. 13 changes from the 99 model. First off, you need snow. Next take the belt off the bring it inside, run some hot soapy water and let it soak for about 5 minutes. After that take a produce brush and brush off all the grooves and where the clutch sheaves grab the belt. After you get the beast on the snow, break it in by using a method of on and off the throttle, accelerate hard to 8000 RPM's then let off. Do this for the first tank of gas, approx. 100 miles, then ride it like you stold it. Then just enjoy what you got and pray for a lot of fluffy white snow. Polaris's like to be ridden hard but just be careful, you got a lot of power and this sucker will take you where, well where you may not want to go. For every steep hill you climb, you have to come back down. Have fun and enjoy this fine piece of machinery. Think snow and winter rules.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-03-1999, 10:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bring it over to Idaho and let me ride it for two weeks and it will be broke-in real good for you.

Mark
PowderBound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Powderbound, where do you ride in Idaho. I have ridden quite a bit around the Bear Lake area. I love it up there.

mark

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-04-1999, 10:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just relocated to Boise this past summer from Orem Utah. I have spent a great deal of time riding Fairview canyon, Mirror lake, Soap stone & Danials.

I am not sure where I will be riding yet this winter, except for the five or trips we make to Island Park. I hear that McCall is pretty good though. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Mark
PowderBound
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 12:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I live in Sandy, Utah and I do most of my riding in those same areas also. Other that Fairview, haven't been up there yet. We just love the Bear lake area. I have never been anywhere else in Idaho. I have heard Stanley is also a good place to ride. Check out the attached picture. It is up Paris Canyon, Idaho. This is what you can look foreward too. Think Snow

Mark in Sandy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37-55-Sledsml1.jpg (46.3 KB, 29 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've lived in Idaho all my life, but have only been riding a lot for a few years. Anyways, There's great sledding north of McCall, as well as West Mountain in Cascade, Idaho. I've also heard that the Trinity Mountains, north of Mountain Home are great.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-1999, 11:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The sledders at Micron Electronics have been instructing me with their ideas of great places to ride the past couple of days. I just may end up being the local expert on where everyone rides and what percentage rides in each location. Ha ha... It is great to know that where ever you go, there are people willing to help you out and offer to share in their sporting enjoyment.

Mark
PowderBound
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-08-1999, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The dealer should have prepped it by bleeding the oil pump and making sure the fluids are all topped off. It's a good idea to run pre-mix in the first tank of gas... something like a pint of oil for the full tank will just give an added measure of protection during break-in. Avoid long, full throttle runs on the first tank of gas, vary the throttle position and rpms quite a bit.

On hifax, there is actually a break-in procedure. You can run it up a low snow trail for a quarter to half mile and then dive off into the fluffy snow. This will heat the hifax and then cool them. The Polaris manual recommends this be done 8-10 times. I have done this on the last 2 sets of hifax on my RMK and it really does make them last a long time.

The RMK has a nicasil lined motor which is a good thing, but it takes it a bit to get fully broken in. You'll notice a marked increase in performance after about 350 miles on the machine. At that time, somewhere around 350 to 400 miles, I'd recommend you take it back in to your dealer and let them give it a full going over. They should have included this "20 hour service" in the purchase of the machine. They'll check all the fluids again, bolts, adjustments, etc.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-14-1999, 01:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also live very near to Boise -- in a tiny town called Homedale. I've got to agree with playtime -- McCall and Cascade have some of
the best snowmobiling I think possible! From Boise, when arriving in Cascade, the whole mountain range west of town is a paradise!
Also, from McCall, there are back roads (not sure if they're kept groomed all the way) that will take you all the way to Stanley for a
good day's ride. Great times lay ahead! Let me know if you're wondering about anything else in the Boise area.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]<font color=blue>Kasey Garrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode