Need to know if this is a good deal - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Need to know if this is a good deal

I am currently trying to decide if I should buy this or not. I went to look at it today. It is a 1983 Polaris 340 L/C Indy Cross Country. The guy is asking $500.00 Cdn or Best Offer($320 American). The motor was supposedly rebuilt and it ran for 5 minutes but now it doesn't. One cylinder has less compression than the other. The suspension is fine except that it needs ball joints. It comes with 2 extra chain cases and an extra motor in pieces. He doesn't have the owner ships for it. I don't care too much if it runs because I can fix that myself. I might even just take the suspension off it to put on my 74' elen.

I was wondering what you guys would offer for it. When I go next time to make an offer I am going to bring $400 cdn. But I'm going to ask to see receipts from the rebuild and if he has none then I'm going to pull a plug out to see what the piston looks like. If it looks rebuilt than I'm going to offer hime the $400 but if It's not rebuilt then I'm going to offer $300-$350 because it doesn't run and because there's no owner ships. You never know it might be stolen or have a lean on it.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 08:11 PM
oultman

Re: 1983 polaris 340 cross country ?

yeah, i wouldn't put too much into it incase it is stolen, I just heard of a guy around here who just recently bought a 92 Jag, paid 1200 CDN, went to register it and found out it was stolen, 1200 down the drain. Chances are that the sled it legit, most older sleds do not have ownership for. check it out and if it seems sound, then 400 bucks sounds pretty decent to me, good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Re: 1983 polaris 340 cross country ?

Thank you for your opinion.

Anyone else have some some thoughts on this. It would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Old Hand

Re: Need to know if this is a good deal

If the track and the rest of the slead are in good shape then it would be a good deal. You can pretty much count on spending up to 300 bucks to get it running properly again though. Speaking of deals, I bought my dad a John Deere Liquifire 440 for 30 bucks out of a barn. It runs perfect now and everything is in excellent shape. They just wanted to get rid of it. I'll post some pics of it. The only thing I had to buy for it was a new belt. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2003, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Well I bought it today. I brought it home and cleaned out the carbs put new gas in it and slowly got it running. It's very tricky to get it running but it runs good. But we did a compression test and one cylinder was the usual 130psi and the other was at 30psi. We took the exhaust off to look at the pistons and cylinder walls and all was good. We pressurized the cooling system and it didn't leak. The only thing we can think of is that the rings weren't gapped right.

Is it normal to have one cylinder 0.020" oversized and the other 0.050" oversized? We looked through the spark plug holes and you can see the stamp mark for the oversized numbers and there both different.

Any ideas on the low compression.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

It turns out it just wasn't broken in. After we got it running we drove it around a bit and checked the compression and it went up to 60 psi. But when we were riding it around the secondary was toast. So we fix that and drove around the yard again. Did another compression test and both cylinders were at 120 psi. So I did end up getting a good deal so far. All it needs now is choke and throttle cables and maybe next year a seat and gas tank cover, sliders and track. I ended up paying $400 cdn for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode