86 Yamaha Enticer Intermittent Spark HELP!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 Yamaha Enticer Intermittent Spark HELP!!

I have an 86 Enticer that is giving me a real headache!! I have (had) it running for about 2 minutes with backfire through the carb, then eventually it died and now I have no spark. I have replaced the mail coil, that helped although the same problem is still there. My next step was to clean up the pick-up coil and magnets which to me look brand new, not a speck of dirt or rust was anywhere. Now I am at the CDI box. I did get one off an 87 Enticer 340 but the wiring is different. My original box has a rectangular plug with 2 leads, the black/white and black/yellow wires. The other wires off the original are: orange, white/red, black, and brown. Now the colors off the 87 CDI are: 3 wire plug (black, white/red, and black/yellow), orange, brown, and red. My question is 2 fold, one: Are both of these CDI boxes compatable and if so what is the correct wiring? and 2 WHAT ELSE COULD BE THE PROBLEM WITH THIS THING!!! I have checked for broken or grounded wires, it does have hand warmers and I have checked the wiring there. The thing that stumps me is I have had this thing running!! I am going to try another set of plugs and see if that is the problem. I really would appreciate any insight on this thing. The sled isn't a piece of junk but is becoming one as it sits in my garage!! Thanks. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

I just went out and wired in the new CDI box. Before doing so I used an analog volt meter to test the leads coming out of the engine block. I have positive current flow (DC current) on all leads. This tells me my internal coils are good. When I hooked up the CDI box I connected the black and brown leads only then put the meter probe in the orange connector. I had current flow there as well. When I connect the white/red lead with my test lead still on the orange wire, my meter flutters and tries to go below zero on the meter scale. I disconnect the lead and my readings on the orange wire go back to about 3-5 volts on the 10 setting of my meter. With me so far? I connect the orange wire (goes to external coil) and nothing!! No spark nada. Can anyone explain to me why my meter goes the opposite way when the white/red (battery) lead is hooked up? Do I have a short somewhere? I have never ran into this before. Maybe my external coil (it is brand new I just put it on) is bad? This sled has an electric starter but no battery ect. It does have hand warmers and when it did run for 2 minutes they did work. I tell ya this thing is posessed!! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode