1980 Scorpion Whip 440 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 09:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

1980 Scorpion Whip 440

I recently aquired a Whip 440 in pretty good shape, After a thourough cleaning of the fuel system it does run. It runs rough on high throttle and seems to "build up" after short distance and wants to foul plugs. Two questions: Are these sleds hard to find parts for? Second is this problem in the carb adjustment? I am running 40:1 mix of clean gas, new oil, and lead additive along with Champion N3c plugs. Mainly running short distance with kids, no cross town stuff yet. Do I need hotter plugs? I want to make sure I can get other parts before I sink much $$ into it, like track, Cuyuna engine parts, walbro carb parts, boggies, ect. I appreciate any help. [email protected] <font color="blue"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 10:06 PM

Re: 1980 Scorpion Whip 440

Don't know about parts availability but regarding the plug fouling it sounds like the high speed jetting is off. Depending on the model of Walbro carb used there will either be a high speed adjusting needle on the top of the carb body or more likely there is a main jet on the front of the float bowl on the airbox side. You are too rich on the high speed jetting so it will either take a smaller number of main jet or if it has the adjusting needle on the top you will have to turn it in to lean it out a bit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color="red"> </font color> Retiredpop, thanks for the info I'll check my carb out and make the adjustment. Also will a hole in the muffler affect the engine? I know at there is at least one (Extra) hole I can patch. Also fuel mix, manual says 50:1 label on engine says 40:1 I have been using 40:1 . Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:08 PM

Patch the hole in the exhaust as proper backpressure is an important part of the design. I think you can use 50:1 mix with no problem as long as it is a good quality 2 stroke oil.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks retiredpop, I am patching as we speak! I am going to try a couple of different things before I change the mix, but I will keep it in mind. (Whats a good 2 stroke oil?)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 10:34 AM
oultman

yeah a hole in the exhaust will affect the sled quite a bit, without the proper back pressure the sled will not run properly, and like retired pop said you can use 50:1, that is the norm.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 05:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Now I'm putting the muffler back on, and will run through the rest of my 40:1 fuel and start mixing 50:1 after that to see if that affects it much. Again thanks for the help guys!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 07:29 AM

As long as the oil meets TC-W3 rating it's okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode