Fringe Environmental Groups Sue to Close Yellowsto - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2002, 10:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fringe Environmental Groups Sue to Close Yellowsto

See article below.

Matt
Doo owner
Manta owner
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.sledcity.com/states/color...ory.cfm?id=505

Fringe Environmental Groups Sue to Close Yellowstone National Park
Posted 23-Dec-02

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Ed Klim - President, International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association

On December 3, 2002 the Fund For Animals (FFA) and the Bluewater Network (BWN) filed suit in Washington DC District Court requesting the Court to close Yellowstone National Park (YNP) to all users during the winter. When I read the 34 page complaint I was dismayed to see yet again a wealthy, national environmental organization filing suit to shut Yellowstone down to all winter visitors and recreationists.

As I read the complaint, I was surprised, but not shocked the elitists were seeking to ban grooming of the roads in the park. I have had the opportunity to snowmobile in Yellowstone a number of times and I know the average snowfall in YNP is over 20 feet per year. Snow usually begins in late November and the Park opens to winter tourists in mid December. Grooming occurs on approximately 185 miles of the paved roadways throughout the Park. These groomed, snow covered avenues allow the ONLY access into the Park. Those of us that recreate outdoors in winter know you cannot operate a snowcoach on ungroomed roads nor can you cross-country ski without a groomed roadway.

The complaint contained more of the same old incorrect science misrepresenting snowmobiling in Yellowstone. The shrill in the complaint was typical, but in addition to their request to stop grooming the roadways and stop snowmobiling, I noticed how they referred to the National Organic Act of 1916.

Fringe groups seem to conveniently forget Yellowstone National Park was created in 1872 and was dedicated and set apart as a Public Park or "pleasuring ground" for the benefit and enjoyment of the people. Some also forget the Organic Act specifically states that all park units were created to conserve the resources therein AND to provide for public use and enjoyment.

Winter recreation has been encouraged and fostered by the NPS since 1963 when snowmobile use first began in the Park. In 1968 snowmobiles were regulated by Winter Use Plans and were required to use the same Yellowstone road system used by cars, RV's and other motorized vehicles during the summer season. This careful, accepted limitation left over 99% of Yellowstone off limits to all winter recreationists. For some perverse reason, now the FFA and BWN want to close the park off entirely in the winter. If grooming is disallowed on the Park roads, there will be no access to snowcoaches, snowmobiles, cross-country skiers and interestingly no access for NP Rangers to patrol the Park. One observant reporter asked if Yellowstone Park Service employees would become seasonal employees since the Park would be closed for approximately 5 months out of the year.

There has been a lot of attention paid to YNP and rightfully so, since it is a beautiful spot in the world. The snowmobile manufacturers believe YNP should be properly cared for, as it has been since its inception. Along with caring for a park that was set aside for our use and enjoyment, we believe firmly the park should be adaptively managed and individuals should be encouraged to visit the park, support the park and learn from their visit. We believe reasonable snowmobiling in the park on groomed roadways is an important part of those visitation privileges. On Thursday, December 18, 2002, the snowmobile manufacturers requested to intervene in the lawsuit so we may support winter recreation in Yellowstone.

As the manager of the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association, I am somewhat surprised the membership of the Fund For Animals and the Bluewater Network support the lawsuit filed by their National Boards. I would think a considerable number of their members like to see and experience Old Faithful in the winter. The lawsuit recently brought forth by the FFA and BWN will disallow that. If they stop grooming the roadways in the Park, all wintertime access to the Park will be eliminated.

We are hopeful that the court will see this lawsuit for what it is and dismiss it as an affront on the American General Public. We hope to be joined by others who will help shine a bright light on these devious efforts concocted by truly fringe elements of the environmental movement.

When our leaders back in 1872 established YNP they intended the park to be a gift to the people for the enjoyment of everyone. This park and other National Parks are for people who love outdoor activities and outdoor recreation. God created our national parks for everyone to enjoy. The FFA, BWN and others have nothing to do with creating these beautiful areas and they wish to determine who can go there and who cannot. This is not what the parks were established for, and it should not be allowed to happen.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 02:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Shut \'er down!

I've had the pleasure of spending fifteen years living in the Park, including eight entire winters at Old Faithful.

Snowmobiles pollute, shatter the natural tranquility, haze animals on a limited energy supply, and leave a gummy oil residue on my skis every time I have to cross the main road.

Snowmobilers are, with pitiful few exceptions, ignorant drunken rednecks happy to roll in for a day or two of sidehilling and elk chasing.

If the only way to end snowmobiling in Yellowstone is to shut down the Park to winter use altogether, I'm all for it.

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do The Extreme Green Get To Win?

Ahh, spoken as a true snowmobile enthusiast.....

Loser.

Fellow sledders, this is the reason we must be proactive and support our sport. Land issues affect us ALL! If you don't fight for your sport, you will be eliminated.

Join your local club. Join your state snowmobile association. Join the Blue Ribbon Coalition. (www.sharetrails.org)

Matt
Doo owner
Manta owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:17 PM

Re: Shut \'er down!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Snowmobiles pollute, shatter the natural tranquility, haze animals on a limited energy supply, and leave a gummy oil residue on my skis every time I have to cross the main road.

[/ QUOTE ]

Greenman. This sounds like you have taken it right out of your wilderness association handbook. Your organization should be very proud of you. It does not make it any more true though no matter how many times you repeat it. By the way, in a 3 year study done by the University of Wisconsin it was shown that only minor reactions were noted in animals due to snowmobile activity. When cross country skiers replaced snowmobiles on the same trails the animals had a much greater reaction and ran further off the trails which causes them greater stress on their limited energy supplies. Snowmobile tracks make a great path also for animals to easily move around on. Perhaps for the good of the animals cross country skiing should be banned first before snowmobiling.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Snowmobilers are, with pitiful few exceptions, ignorant drunken rednecks happy to roll in for a day or two of sidehilling and elk chasing.

[/ QUOTE ]

The group I ride with do not drink alcohol at all when sledding. In fact I have seen very few sledders that partake of any booze while enjoying this great sport. It's unfortunate you see all the bad ones but be assured that is not the normal snowmobiler. Do you also advocate shutting down all the highways and the use of automobiles due to the actions of a small minority?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, that sounds rosy.

Did I mention that I live at Old Faithful?

I've seen it with my own eyes since my first winter, which was 1986. I don't need any "wilderness association handbook" to enable me to draw conclusions from what my own eyes and ears tell me. I've seen snowmobiles driving elk and bison down the road, observed the scars caused by sidehilling, and watched snowmobilers in from West Yellowstone for the day drink well past the safe (or legal) level before getting back on their machines. Not once in a while, but every single day at Snowlodge.

If your group doesn't drink while 'biling, I applaud you. But the empty beer cans and underwear left atop lion's head mtn. in the National Forest outside the park tells a different story.

What happens to wildlife in Wisconsin may in fact be different from what happens to wildlife in Yellowstone, don't you think? Yellowstone is characterized by dense forests and deep powder. Yes, groomed snow roads give wildlife a path to travel. Unfortunately, these roads have been choked with 'biles for the last fifteen years. Something has to change.

A charge often leveled against wise-use advocates like myself is that they want to "lock up" the public lands. Slow down before jumping to conclusions, folks. I'm just looking for a sensible compromise in my home, which is disastrously overrun with 'biles.

Yellowstone - Love it or leave it alone!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 07:59 AM

I think this is quite funny. Let's see if I follow up to this point. You get very deep powder yet a snowmobile is able to cut through it all and leave scarring on sidehills. Interesting! Wildlife acts differently depending on their upbringing and where they live. Snowmobilers on the other hand are all the same irregardless of their upbringing and education. Perhaps you should submit a paper of this great phenomenon so the rest of the world can be as wise as you are. I also forgot about the time honored ritual of shedding your underwear when you get to the top of a hill. That's priceless! I've often wondered what 16 years of breathing in sulphur fumes does to the human brain. Keep it coming, we all need a good laugh.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, if you knew anything about Yellowstone, you'd be aware that the roads are groomed for oversnow vehicles in winter. When 'biles leave the road, the do in fact tend to bog down, to the amusement of employees and consternation of the Rangers. The sidehilling occurs beside the road, after a good running start well exceeding the posted speed limits.

Wildlife acts differently based on the physical conditions of where it lives. The terrain in Yellowstone is different from that of Wisconsin, you see. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I never said anything about upbringing. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And studies performed in Yellowstone have shown a clear negative impact on wildlife from snowmobiles.

Nor did I ever say all snowmobilers are the same. I praised your group for non-drinking, remember? I don't know a thing about 'bilers from anywhere else, nor did I claim to. I did describe what I see everyday, and drew some basic conclusions from it. Don't you think it's somewhat telling though, that this board features this graemlin... [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] ???

* Laughs *

If you want to have fun shooting down my arguments, you'd need to start out by reading what I'm actually saying.

Eventually you might get my point: Not every acre of public land needs to be run over by snowmobiles. Some places definitely should not be. All three EIS studies in Yellowstone clearly demonstrate that Yellowstone is one of those places.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 09:19 PM
catattack

Re: Another Enviro-wacko

Isn't this typical of the environazis [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]? Take the actions of a few and typecast everyone involved. Let's see, I seen accidents nearly casued by cross country skiers on designated snowmobile trails. Should we ban cross country skiing??? Somebody cut me off on the hiway this morning in a small green car. Let's ban all small green cars. They are all hell raisers.

If you find problems caused by individuals, deal with "them" not the sport. I'm all for prosecuting individuals that are abusing their priveldges and breaking the law. It's your generalizations that loose credibility here.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 01:53 AM

Re: Another Enviro-wacko

The problem I have with Greenman is that even though he lives at old faithful he does not own the park, though he clearly feels he deserves to be there more than others. A few years back I had the pleasure of seeing yellowstone via sled. It was a family vacation and I was with my grandfather as we rode threw the small amount of yellowstone available to snowmobiles. You are correct that every place does not have to have a sled ridden on it, that is why you cannot go most places in yellowstone. But to prevent others from enjoying a park that belongs to all of us is not right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode