87 Arctic Cat Panther - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2002, 08:09 PM
BoulderBronco7

87 Arctic Cat Panther

I have two questions. First anyone know what size engine I have? I can't find it stamped anywhere and the manual is long gone. Second, it runs very good except for the idle is too low so it dies unless I keep my thumb on the gas. I have adjusted the carb for 8k-11k feet and ride it at or 1-2k above that. Anyone know what I can do to get the idle reving higher? I have adjusted the little screw on the carb but it does not help much. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 02:32 PM
catattack

Re: 87 Arctic Cat Panther

If I remember right it has a 500cc fan cooled motor with a single Mikuni carb. There should be a lable on the recoil cover with the engine model number. Regarding the idle. There are 2 adjustment screws on the right side of the carb. One is the idle speed scew and sets the slide hieght. The other is the air mixture screw. This adjusts the fuel mixture at low speed. If you are adjusting either of these and it isn't effecting the idle speed it sounds like the pilot circuit is plugged inside the carb. Pull the carb give it a thorough cleaning inside. Make sure you completly disassemble the carb including removing the pilot jet. Make sure the pilot jet isn't plugged. Blow out all the passages with carb cleaner and compressed air. Regarding revving higher. These fan motors never were high revving motors. See were it runs after a good carb cleaning.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 08:27 PM
BoulderBronco7

Thanks for the help. I don't have time in the next few days to work on it but I will get to it soon. I don't recall two set screws but I'll check it out. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 08:07 PM
BoulderBronco7

I was using my sled yesterday and looked for that other screw. There is the one on the right side of the carb with the spring on it. It seemed to keep the idle a bit higher with it completely screwed in. There was another thing that looked like a screw on the left side of the carb but I did not have a screw driver handy to mess with it. It is recessed into the carb a bit. Is that the one you are talking about?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 06:44 PM
catattack

Check out this link 87 Panther Carb to see a diagram of the carb. The 2 adjustments I was referring to are 14 and 17. It sounds like you are adjusting 17, the throttle stop. There is something wrong if you have to turn it in all the way to keep it running. I suspect the pilot circut is plugged in the carb. 14 is the air mixture screw. I'm not sure where the adjustments should be for this sled. Call your local dealer and he should be able to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode