SkiDoo REV /Buying Advice - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 08:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

SkiDoo REV /Buying Advice

Hi,
I am planning a new snowmobile purchase this year. I used to ride an 87 phaser wich I loved, but found a little underpowered. Has anyone ridden the skidoo REV? Is it a 'revolution' as skidoo claims? Any other suggestions for a new sled? What I am looking for is a seld for me and a sled for my wife that we can use on the weekends mostly. We like to ride on and off the trail. We probably will be riding primarily in the sierras. I know I dont want one of those big huge machines that will get stuck in deep snow. I do want performance and handling and a respectable top speed. I am also very excited about the new longer trave in the suspensions. Also my wife weighs about 100 lbs. Im sure she wants all the bells and whistles, but also something very lightweight. All replies appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 09:15 AM
oultman

Re: SkiDoo REV /Buying Advice

hmmm, where to start? As far as the REV, I'm not sure if this is a great direction to head in quite yet. It definately is revolutionary, you have a completely different sitting position which allows for better cornering and handling, but they seem a little complicated and "plasticy" to me. I'd hold off on one of them for a year I think, to se how they hold up. If your thinking ski-doo, an excellent machine is the new legend. I have several pals who have them, and they love them. They come with many bells and whistles, the electronic reverse, electric start, heated windsheild plug, 15 volt outlet for cell phones, they are a nice overall machine, and not too bad on fuel. They are much like the MXZ only more options, yet they still look sporty. Yamaha probably doesn't have much to offer you except the trail preformance Vmax. The viper is an excellent machine, but they only come in 700's. Although many think the 700 is a big machine, they are still comfortable to drive. The great thing about yamaha is they are exceptionally good on gas, and this means a lot if you do much riding. I personally own a 99 SX 700, and I love my Yamaha, and my next sled will be a yamaha, but if your looking in more of a 5 or 600 cc sled, then they haven't much to offer. But let me just say, don't be afraid of a bigger machine, they tend to have more power to get out of getting stuck etc. anyways, i know this is a lot of writng sorry, hope it helps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 10:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oultman,
Thank you for your reply. I have not actually ruled out any maker (except Arctic cat...lol..cant stand the colors) Anyhow, I handt considered the Legend, but is sounds like a good sled for my wife. I'm not sure about me though. I think I'm a little too aggressive for a touring sled. How 'small' do the legends get? Also , I have been browsing other boards and found that some of these sleds are pretty scarce even at the dealerships... I am wondering how far I am going to have to travel to even see some of these sleds.... The closest dealer of any kind is over 2 hours away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2002, 10:47 AM
oultman

The legends go as samll as 500's I believe, as far as a touring sled, I don't know if I would call them that, they have some of the luxury of a touring sled, but thats about it. They come with a single seat, and basically the same engine as the MXZ. As far as availability, I don't know what to tell you, the dealers around home here, have 3 or 4 in each. As for you, being a more agressive rider, I would look towards a Yamaha Viper, or even a leftover SRX, that is if you want a more agressive sled. The Viper is an excellent handling machine, one of the best I have ever got to drive. It is also excellent on fuel, the SRX being about the only sled better than it. I have an SX which was replaced by the viper, when refueling, if I take 10 bucks, the MXZ's are about 16, and polaris and cats I ride with ar about double. It makes the trips so much more enjoyable, haha. If it were me the only 2 sleds I would consider are the Viper and MXZ. Like I said though, I'd probably go for the viper, cause of the fuel, and that triple, there virtually bullet proof. Anyways, thats just my preference, maybe your expectations are much diffeent. All I know is I want a sled that rides well, with a strong engine, that has lots of "get up and go" when I want it, btu that U can still ride economically, and my Yamaha does that for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode