'80 Invader woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Snowmobile Lounge All general discussions relating to Snowmobiles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2002, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'80 Invader woes

OK

so's I just traded my littlest boat for an '80 kawasaki invader LTD, heres were it gets suprisinly typical, it dosen't run, anyone out there ride one of these that can walk me through basic carb functions, she sounds flooded, oh and made one hellofa backfire right at the tip of the pipes.

Any information is apricated this is my first persoanl sled, but I am an accoplished ghetto mechanic with an 82 chevy G20 van and more small engines than I can count under my belt and have been using off-road.coms swb jeep forum for a year or so now.

This sled is water cooled, does it have a thermostat or does it run constatly?

any great spots either online or in so. eastern michigan to find parts, I think it's fairly complete but a service manual would rock

Thanks for any help

have FUN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2002, 06:39 PM
catattack

Re: \'80 Invader woes

Pauly, I use to have a 78 440 Invader not so many years ago. If you've never ridden one you'll be surprised how fast it runs for something of that vintage. Assuming it hasn't beedn sitting for several years w/o running, there shouldn't be anything magic to get it going. Remove the plugs and check for a good spark. It uses Mikuni carbs and fuel pump just like may of todays sleds. Check this link for carb info www.carbparts.com. Follow the links to the VM series carb and you'll find a nice diagram. I'd start by removing the carbs for cleaning. Take out the pilot and main jets to make sure they're not plugged. That should cover the 2 things you need to make it run, fuel and spark. You can also try removing the fuel line from the carb and pulling the cord to make sure fuel is flowing. If still no luck check the cylinder compresion. You should see at least 110-120 lb on each one. If you have spark, fuel and compression but it still won't start there is a slight chance that the PTO senter seal is bad, but not very common. If you can't find anyone close by, try calling Guy Fox at Fox's discount parts. [email protected] 315-668-9484 He's located in central NY but ships UPS daily and can find many parts for these old sleds.

Good Luck
Bob Alger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode