Thinking of getting a Truck.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Nitro For discussion of off-road, gas (Nitro) powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Thinking of getting a Truck..

Im not too sure what is good and bad on the market.. Also I want one with a Chevy body. And whats this crap of the Engines lasting only a couple gallons? All the info would be great...
Also Im looking not to spend more than 200.00 bucks.

Polaris Rulz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Thinking of getting a Truck..

How is this one?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXPW78&P=0

Polaris Rulz!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2001, 10:07 PM
portgrinder

if you're only planning on spending 200 bones you might as well not even bother. anything that cheap will be a money pit. 200 will barely get you a motor

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2001, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, then point me in a good direction.

Polaris Rulz!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2001, 12:33 AM
portgrinder

in my opinion a good 'smoke your buds' do anything truck is the rc10gt(Team Associated)
rc10.com
i have one and love it. its definitally on the high end but if you are going to use it, buy this rig

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1st let me say how happy I am to find this board! I own 3 offroad nitro rc cars, and 2 of them are RC10GT. I can not more highly recomend the team associated RC10GT. DO NOT get trapped in the tmaxx thing. Its a good car and all I guess, but it just isnt competitive. The RC10 is well made, fast, you won't out grow it any time soon, MANY MANY parts are availible, the instructions are very well done (compared to other cars!) and the options are just endless. I have about 3000 dollars in this hobby and have only been at it about a year. It is HIGHLY addictive. You do not want to spend 250 dollars on a piece of crap Tamiya or something, cuz as the previous users said, it will be a hole to pour money into, and STILL not give you the results you want. These cars are models, I don't recomend an RTR (ready to run car). They don't have the upgrades, and you won't gain the familiarity you so desparatley need for this hobby. Expect to spend more time working on the car than driving it. Buy the best electronics you can possibly afford. The rc10 comes in an rtr, the "team" kit, and the "factory team". Buy the factory team, PLEASE. I 1st bought the team and spent plenty of money upgrading to what I would have got with the factory team anyways. For a beginner, buy an OS motor. I recomend you get an electric starter box. You will tire of pull start very quickly! You will need rechargable batteries, good electronics (as I mentioned) if you dare to drive on the street you will go through tires VERY VERY fast. (I can do doughnuts on the pavement, and leave rubber with my 1 horse novarossi motor) if you play like that, tires MIGHT last a week. Buy square fuzzies for awesome traction, buy Gladiators for ripping it up in loose stuff, and get street tires for the street. (however the 2.2" street tires are so short they offer no traction whatsoever) The front tires are awesome, you won't hardly ever have to replace them. Do not, repeat do not get into the sport with less then $600 bucks. You will need quality small tools. The rc10 is all standard. Once you buy your second and third car, you will probably end up switching to metric! Buy extra nuts and bolts from fastener-express.com. Use blue locktight and nylock nuts whenever possible. The only other 2WD car I can recomend is Team Lossi. Now, once you get all that, you will get a bug up your butt for 4WD. Then you will want 1/8 scale cars when you see how tremendously powerfull a .21 motor is! If you are in Las Vegas, I HIGHLY recomend going to Nice-Twice hobbies (in the phone book) and buying a used car on consignment. They are great people over there. As far as a motor lasting a couple gallons of fuel, that too depends on the motor, and the driving style. You should also buy a digital pyrometer, and never ever run your motor over 260 degrees (max). Always use after run oil in your motor. It will rust and pit inside otherwise, causing wear and tear. The good thing is, you can rebuild your motor for in the neighborhood of 75 bucks. My novarossi has about 5 gallons of fuel through it, and still running strong. Course, its about the best motor you can buy, a genuine paris racing novarossi. Start with an OS. And I don't recomend the one horse model right away (the OS-RZ) start with a .6 horse engine, they have a one year warranty. Once you get all that done, write to me and we can go rip [censored] up!!
VegasF6

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just saw aron82's post for a losi gtx. You ought to contact him, losi makes a fine car.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Whoa, thanks for all the info.. But I just want somthing to putt around with... I thought maybe a Stampedee.. And the RC10GT or whatever, dont got much ground clearenance.. I want somthing big like my CLODBUSTER... Im like rreallly confused.

Polaris Rulz!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 01:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You are right, that was a lot of info! Bottom line, a quality truck like an associated, or a losi will be cheaper and better in the long run. The stampede (traxxas) is really more of a toy in comparison. As far as ground clearance, neither the traxxas nor the rc10 have really good ground clearance, but the whole bottom is a skid plate, and you can pretty much go over anything within reason if you build up speed. Of course that depends more on the engine than the car I guess, but these suckers really accelerate (like try racing a crotch rocket motorcycle sometime! hah) They are all pretty fun I guess, but it is important to maximize your drive time, and minimize your repair time, hence I still recomend the rc10, and a kit instead of an rtr. Either way, have fun dude!
(remember these are stadium trucks we are discussing, not monster trucks)
Oh and I forgot, you won't find reverse in hardly anything except for some traxxas (dunno if the stampede has it, I don't think so) or the kyosho cars. (but please stay away from the Kyosho's with the .10 engine and what they call a QRC (quick reverse clutch) they are the absolute slowest of the slowest.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh by the way, here are a few interesting links. http://www.rcmotorcycle.com/ (I love this site, although not really what you were looking for)
http://www.nitroreview.com/ (this is a very informative site where you will get an unbiased opinion, unlike mine! HAH! I am very opinionated)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode