monster truck - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Nitro For discussion of off-road, gas (Nitro) powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

monster truck

hey i want to buy a monster truck but know nothing about them...which is the biggest and which is the best(same thing in my mind). Also what size moter do I want?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2001, 10:29 PM
Old Hand

Re: monster truck

I know everyone has their own opinion, but I like the T-Maxx. It has tons of aftermarket parts and Traxxas has some of the best customer service of any RC car company I have dealt with.

I have had a Clod Buster and a Juggernaut 2. The T-Maxx has more power, ground clearnace and can out handle those trucks hands down!!

Hank
88 YJ (sort of)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2001, 10:52 PM
Veteran

hey dude, I think you should look into electric scene before hopping to nitro. Much easier to handle, you can put it together yourself to later troubleshoot easier. Its major fun and takes MONEY.

Kevin

'89 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 four door, no rear sway bar, street glow shifter knob & 20" neons, 215/70R15 Mastercrafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 05:53 PM
portgrinder

no way man, i went straight from tyco's and kmart specials to an rc10gt when i was 15. only way to go. nitro is easy as long as you have a new motor and some common sense. much better than charging and you can run for as long as you want!

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well i have to agree aboput the nito vs. electric. I have 2 electric trucks and thay are just no fun because just as i am getting to have fun thay are dying. that is why i want a nito truck the way i figure i can just add more gas and go againg no more wating for it to charge.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Only way to go is T-Maxx... (Period)

The aftermarket goodies for it are just insane. You can spend literally thousands tweaking out your truck...

I Love my T-Maxx best RC I've ever owned, and this is my second gas and I've owned 6 different Electrics over the years. Plus worked in a R/C shop building them...

My T-Maxx already has the titanium skidplates, SuperMaxx Suspension (Alluminum suspension kit that increases wheel travel and widens stance). Next comes a .21 engine conversion and longer chassis. Then remote resevoir shocks, etc, etc, etc.. I never ends...

Buzz

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=red> Bad Boyz Drive Bad Ass Toyz </font color=red>
http://www.geocities.com/canuckbuzz
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2001, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't know about the T-Maxx. It is way underpowered. I've had bad experience with Traxxas. I'd get an MP. It is 1/8th scale, not 1/10th and it has a .21 instead of a .15. This thing will rip the tires off the wheels. I'm ordering one right now. You can't compare a T-Maxx to this thing. If you want power i'd get this. Also, .21s are easier to tune for most people. And you can get an MP for $270.00 with an engine at Ultimate Hobbies.com. That's cheaper than a T-Maxx. All you need now is a radio for 100.00. Whatever you get, have fun.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 12:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The t-max comes with a radio. I don't like it. I saw a $2,000 or close to it T-max last weekend. It had a os .15 aluminum everything, machined rims, arms, lots of aluminum bolted on. The suspension was super soft, didn't handle for [censored], it could climb very well. I offered to race him with my GTX. he declined. It just looked like the throttle response was really spongy due to the internal clutch in the gearbox. Maybe with a .21 conversion it would have more scoot, but I wasn't imppressed with anything but the soft suspension, which held it back on the track, it was good in the rocks. WAY to expensive for what it could do.

Montana, The Last Best Place To Hide.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 03:22 AM
Stranger

lot's of people stick w/ the tq3 (stock tmaxx radio). it serves most people's basic needs. i upgraded to the jr xr3 cuz it has multiple car memory and, since i have 2 rc's, i can run both w/ one controller.
if you want the power of a .21 at an affordable price, go with the ofna monster pirate. a couple of my friends have these and have gotten WAY different results. one has absolutely no problem w/ it and bashes pretty hard. the other had nothing but trouble... the engine was fine but he constantly broke knuckles on small jumps and not-very-hard collisions. he ended up selling it and buying a used tmaxx and had WAY more fun w/ it. now he switched out the stock trx .15 for a megatech .16 (~$80). that thing hauls @ss. i have a tmaxx w/ a .21 conversion. one word... AWESOME! but, i'm sure not many people wish to spend the kind of money it takes to do that .21 conversion, which is why the mp would be good if that's what you're looking for. one thing you should know, though... there is WAY more aftermarket parts available for the tmaxx than for the MP. A big factor in my decision making... (actually, i think w/ all the aftermarket support for the tmaxx, you could build one w/o actually buying a tmaxx!)

deo

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2001, 05:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, RoughRyde obviously knows what he is talking about! The Tmaxx is a cute little truck, and has better parts availiblilty than any truck out there. It has reverse, it has it's own built in electric starter. Very cute (read cute to mean SLOW) As stated, it is not unusual to spend 2000 dollars on a tmaxx. You get it all shiny and pretty. However, for the REAL deal, you must go with an 1/8th scale car. My 3rd car is the Ofna Monster Blazer. Parts availibility sucks, but oh well. It has a .21 motor, and I have upgraded to a 2 speed transmission. This truck does 60MPH! It climbs curbs, or mountains equally well. At the sand dunes it flys 50 ft or more. I have gone bumper to bumper with custom tmaxx's. Very fun knocking them over and driving over the top of them. Know if you wanted to buy a brand new tmaxx, then an extended chassis and a .21 kit for it, you would have quite a truck. However, after you spent the 1500 bucks on it, it probably still wouldnt touch my blazer. The tmaxx has all the suspension components underneath, I don't like that (they get hung up). Most other cars have a flat bottom chassis and all the a-arms etc mounted on top of that. The ofna monster pirate is also a very good choice. But the blazer comes with a steel geared center diff, and dual brakes. It is more based on a buggy than the pirate, so it is my personal preference. So, 1st monster blazer, 2nd monster pirate, 3rd clodbuster, 4 tmaxx, and way down the list, juggernaut.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode