%Fuel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Nitro For discussion of off-road, gas (Nitro) powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

%Fuel

What % fuel do most you guys run in your machines. Also where is the cheapest place to buy r/c parts on the internet. Marc

88 Samurai, 16 V EFI motor, Dana 44's, 36" Swampers, ARB and Detroit
lockers, custom drop arms, GRS II, 5.38 r&p, Warn 8000, custom bumpers,
leather seats & lots more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2001, 11:37 PM
portgrinder

Re: %Fuel

i run 15% fuel in my rc10gt. i could run more but i was told it shortened motor life. its got plenty power though

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 12:28 PM
Journeyman

There is no real proof that running a higher nitro content is good/bad/better/worse blah blah blah.
I'm going off from what other ppl have done, the results they had from it, and the results I am seeing from it. 40% nitro in my opinion is far superior to 10% - 20%. I am running Blue Thunder 40% with 6 oz-added castor oil. I will NOT go back to 20%. It's a night and day difference between 20% & 40%. Cooler temps, better idle, and stronger motor. The greatest advantage of upping the nitro is you can runner a richer setting, which will bring the temps back down while getting added performance. I am running 2 1/2 - 3 turns out on the main needle. I am getting more power now than when I ran the truck lean on the 20%. I have not used a temp gun to prove this, but I can touch the stock head now and it won't burn me like it would when i was running 20% lean.
The added castor oil is a vast improvement also. Since there no rings in these engines, the fuel/oil mixture gives you the seal also in the combustion chamber along with the tapered bore.
Hope this helps some.

Jim 84XtraCab
"Don't sweat the small stuff. And yes I am in the Navy. Don't sweat it." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 01:14 PM
portgrinder

whats your setup, car/motor?

You wear your silver chain but the cross won't stop the lies,you believe in nothing
Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i run 10%. the cheapest places ive found are http://www.ehobbies.com and http://www.towerhobbies.com

Mike ~

89 Chevy K1500 - 350TBI/700R4/NP241 - 3" lift - 33's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

first i have an ole traxxus nitro hawk with a .12, secondly i have a nitro rustler with a .15. I switch my gas from 10 to 15%. I heard the same hoopla as everyone else, anything more will fry your motor and i'm just skeptical. NavyDood, how much fuel do you mix with 6oz. of castor oil, 1qt, a gallon??? How much of the 40% mix have you ran through your motor? Marc

post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 10:17 AM
Journeyman

DOH sorry all.

I have a T-Maxx with the stock motor. I know of ppl getting up to 15 gallons of 40% thru their engines with the added castor.

Jim 84XtraCab
"Don't sweat the small stuff. And yes I am in the Navy. Don't sweat it." [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 09:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey navydood, did you and do you reccommend breaking in your motors with the 40%, and you still didn't tell me how much fuel you mix with 6oz. of castor oil. Thanks Marc

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2001, 11:01 PM
portgrinder

what? why do you guys mix in castor?
i just buy my 15% and dump er in. methinks this is why you can run 40%

Kenton Thomas,Portal
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2001, 02:16 PM
Journeyman

The oil content should be minimum 16% for car engines. 18% is preferred by most manufacturers.

Blue Thunder is only around 12%. By adding 6 oz. of Castor oil "To a new full gallon of fuel" that brings the oil content up to around 18%.

Castor oil is one of the main ingredients in the Nitro fuels for lubrication. I buy the castor from wal-mart in the laxative section. (No I'm not kidding) That is all the stuff is.

I didn't break my engine in using the 40% with added castor. I used Traxxas' 20% because that is all that the hobby shop had at the time. As soon as they got the 40% in, that is when I switched.

I didn't break my engine in using the 40% with added castor. I used Traxxas' 20% because that is all that the hobby shop had at the time. As soon as they got the 40% in, that is when I switched.

Jim 84XtraCab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode